Insulating Infloor Storage Bin on 41 DS

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
On our 41 DS there is a storage bin in the floor in front of the refrigerator, its a fairly large and deep bin but has no insulation, so holding ice to keep beverages cold is very short lived. Just wondering if anyone has attempted to insulate this bin and if so what did you use and how successful was the project.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Interesting. Our 1991 P42 has a similar storage locker beneath a lift off hatch in front of the refrigerator. I've lined it with cardboard and store canned goods there. Works quite well for us. Brits would love it because they prefer their beer at bilge temperature. I, on the other hand, like my beer ice cold. Extra provisions (beer, wine, liquor, etc.) are kept in a locker beneath the forward berth.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
There would be no reason to line this one with cardboard as it is a heavy plastic bin, the first time I used it, filled it with beer, water and soda and ice, the ice was gone in 4 hours or so, there is a hole in the bottom of the bin to allow drainage. The bin is big enough to hold at least a 12 beer, 6 pops and several water bottles. Once I discovered the ice wouldn't hold in it, we just stored our water in the bin. My thoughts are to possibly put some styrofoam around and below the bin under the cabin sole and drop the bin back in, not sure of the clearance between the bottom of the bin and the inner hull.