If you had $35,000.....

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Just dreaming sort of. In 6 years I will retire and my hope is to move up to a 34+ sailboat and get out of Michigan, sail down (across) the St Lawrence seaway and down the inter coastal water way and get somewhere warm and live on the boat for about 4 moths and then sail back. Thinking $35,000 might get something nice enough to do this on but from your experience on sailboat designs etc., what 34+ footer would you buy for comfort living on and seaworthiness? I would like a boat with a full bed and not just a V-berth. I see some have this at 34+ and over but most don't.

Is 5 months too little of time to sail from Michigan to lets say South Carolina?

Am I nuts to think this way?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No you are not nuts. Well mostly... We all are a little bit to think that the water is better away from Michigan. (Had to say that my wife is from Michigan and she was looking over my shoulder as I was typing.)

Here is a link to the voyages of Roger Long, a featured contributor on this forum. There is some great reading about a sailor who kinda did what you are suggesting for a bit less than you are considering.
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/in...long-cruising-on-strider.142/&no_date_limit=1

Go on YouTube and check out "Untie the Lines". You find the story of a German girl who bought a boat cheap in Panama, refurbished it and is sailing.

Or check out https://katieandjessieonaboat.com/route/ It is the story of two college girls who bought a boat and sailed the Great Loop.

So I guess we are a little nuts. But at least we sailors live a life enriched by our experiences.

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
I think that you could do it, depending on willingness to work on the boat yourself. I'd come up with a budget before you start writing checks. Remember, you'll need to commission this boat with enough safety and living gear to live aboard, so add 10 - 20% to your purchase price right there, normally on the higher end particularly if you want to live aboard. Another rule of thumb is 10% annual maintenance just to keep it afloat and safe. Start with a purchase price so that you can afford the first year's payments (don't buy at the top of your budget). You'll also need to think about how many people are living on this boat and where you'll stay. If you intend to be at a dock every night, you can add $40 / night. There are several mid-80's boats that would be "comfortable" for a single or couple to live aboard. Take a look at the C&C 34, Pearsons and Catalinas. I would stay away from any real "bargain" boats - remember the most expensive boat is the free one. It's fun to dream about warm climates, particularly in winter in Michigan. :)

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
few in your range will have a full berth....especially if you want to sit up or not have to crawl over SWMBO and the like. The rest is easy.

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
Erie PA to Erie Canal to Hudson river, see NY and statue of liberty then on to Cape May. get into the ICW somewhere, end at st augustine FL. give yourself a good 6 weeks, more if you want to sightsee. biggest factor in my mind is do you have a reliable diesel engine, bimini and dodger ? you will need it on the ICW...

Jan 13, 2009
J Boat 92 78 Sandusky
Forget the St. Lawrence, Too long. Sail from Michigan to Tonawanda Ny. Mast down, Erie Barge Canal to the Hudson, Mast up. down Hudson, around Cape May, down Chesapeake to ICW. A good boat to consider is a C&C 35 MK3 with centerboard. Make sure you get one with the Yanmar diesel.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
Thanks everybody.

I do like the C&C MK1 a lot. Love the layout. A dinette to the side is a must for this man. The boat would just be for my wife and I or just me most of the time because I told her she has to work until she is 62 like me but send me her paycheck.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/61073

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Catalina 34. You better be able to fix stuff.

Being able to fix stuff is more important than the boat.

Apr 25, 2015
Oday 26 Oscoda, MI
I do all my own work. The only thing I never do in life is drywall. On my O'Day 26' within the last year I have replaced the entire electrical system, the entire head system, installed new forward hatch, new hatch boards, pulled and refinished all the teak, installed a Bluetooth radio witth 4 speakers, getting ready to replace 3 thru-hulls, installed battery switch, repaired the depth warning system, and the list goes on. I'm sure this is nothing compared to what most do but I literally just love putzing on boats for hours and if I don't know something, I'll sit and study it and figure it out and then tackle it. I can jerry rig most things to work until I get the right parts for a good fix.

Heck maybe after I get my 26' just how I like it, I'll keep it and use that to sail south. Plenty big for 2 people I think for 4 months or maybe more. However, a 34 footer would be nice. Hell a 42 foot would be nice but the bigger they, the more money to maintain I believe.

The biggest hate I have on my boat is the outboard. An inboard diesel would be sooooooo nice.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
I have rented a Catalina 34 in Florida for several days and loved it.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
I do all my own work. ....
That will be a big plus for you trying to get a boat the size you want, in the price range you want. One thing to consider is that I imagine you work on your present boat at home? That is a lot cheaper and the work can be done a lot faster vs. having the boat in a yard up on stands to tackle some of the jobs.

....Heck maybe after I get my 26' just how I like it, I'll keep it and use that to sail south. Plenty big for 2 people I think for 4 months or maybe more......
Actually there is a lot of merit to that. One thing you would like on the ICW and in Florida is the shallow draft. If you get to Florida it is just a matter of time before you want to go to the Bahamas also so with both in mind trying to find a boat with closer to 4 feet of draft vs. say 5+ feet will make things much more enjoyable.

I also like the idea of the Catalina 34 but wonder if you can find one and fix it up for cruising in your price range? Don't over look the Catalina 30's as they have as much room inside as most older 34-35 foot boats and have the shallow draft and there are tons out there to choose from. It might not be out of the question, considering where you live, to have one of those hauled to the house and put on stands. You could do all your work at home for possibly the cost of having it in a yard or marina while you worked on it.

I'd put 400-500 watts of solar and a good efficient refrigeration system, dodger and binimi (for sure) on the list to make the boat more enjoyable. More money in the budget, but you will enjoy the boat so much more. Diesels also make noise, so getting away from the outboard isn't going to totally rid you of that nuisance and why wear one out running it a couple hours a day for electricity when for the price of the fuel you will have to buy you can have solar.

Good luck,

Sumner
========================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
A well found C-30 mk II would be in that price range too. It's a great boat. I really like mine (MK I tho). But I still say 34. It's just a fantastic boat for what they cost, lots more room than the 30, and imho a better layout with the aft head.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Shop and buy the boat in the region where you will do the most challenging sailing. There will be more, and better priced inventory there. I wouldn't try to bring it back to Michigan every year but rather slip/haul it where you want to spend your time sailing. Just bring it back to prepare it over the next 6 years, after that you are a free bird southbound. They are not the cool kids these days but a center cockpit 34' boat would give you the liveaboard, real bunk potential.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Is 5 months too little of time to sail from Michigan to lets say South Carolina?
I've done the trip from Lauderdale to Toronto in 10 days. Not cruising for sure but easily done. So yes, you could probably have a leisurely and fun voyage in 5 months.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
But Capta did not do that passage on a 34' boat in the ditch. He did it offshore.

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
Sumner said:
Don't over look the Catalina 30's as they have as much room inside as most older 34-35 foot boats and have the shallow draft and there are tons out there to choose from. It might not be out of the question, considering where you live, to have one of those hauled to the house and put on stands. You could do all your work at home for possibly the cost of having it in a yard or marina while you worked on it.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/55741

This Catalina 30 is in Bay City, might be worth looking at. It comes with a trailer.