I just love sailing t-shirts

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Russ,
Thanks for finding that shirt. Evidently they did not look very hard when they told me they did not make it. I want one too so I clicked on it. They only need to sell three more and they can bring the shirt back!!! I put in my info. Hopefully they sell them and we get our shirts. Now if only we can find the How I explain sailing to my guest and the point of sail shirts!!

Sam

Last edited:
Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Ha! Who knew? I will post my prize next week (if the thread is still open). In the meantime, here's a happy little vid ripped from a channel that some guy ripped from another channel...
So I took a quick look for sailing tee shirts. "Ride Captain Ride" eventually took me to this:

It's a 73-shirt.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
Took me a minute. Dang that's a great shirt!
My impression exactly. I take no credit, as this was the musings of some search engine with only a mind to sell. But as you might imagine, images of "Ride Captain Ride" brought back something entirely different ... brwn - chik'n - brwn - cow', if you catch my drift! Ha!

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
You lost me but I am just a pup :)
Sorry pup, it's the opening lyric, "73 men sailed up - to the San Francisco bay..."
Just a little tune from the 70s. Complete fabrication. And like almost everything else from back then - perfect illusion. Sail away from San Francisco for more freedom? Really??? Like where? Some communist rat-hole republic? The band was just riding that idiotic wave of imagined oppression by the America hating left, and the song went #1. It's only redeeming value was that some thought it was about the crew of the USS Pueblo, captured and tortured by the ef"ing N. Koreans back in the 60s. It wasn't. I liked it because it had a good beat. I was too young to care about the meaning.
https://www.lyricinterpretations.com/blues-image/ride-captain-ride
But things are different now. The America hating left are among us. They're running things. They're running the government. They're threatening our freedom. I have a new appreciation for the tune. Indeed, sailing away may be the only escape from real oppression in the future... Enjoy it now my friend.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
You guys completely missed the boat (get it?). 73 refers to PT-73 Captain McHales boat in McHales Navy, possibly the greatest show in TV history.

Jun 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Paupack, PA
You guys completely missed the boat (get it?). 73 refers to PT-73 Captain McHales boat in McHales Navy, possibly the greatest show in TV history.
Or it could be another double entendres.
Ugh, thanks jibes, frog. As a young kid, the 70's was sooo confusing. Radio and Hollyweird spread so much hate with words like peace and love, but television, thankfully, still honored at least some of our traditions and our military. "McHale's Navy" was a bit of an "in-between" place. The unit was functional, highly successful at sinking Nip subs, but filled with loveable misfits and miscreants. Come to think of it, it was a lot like this place. Am I right?

Ok, I admit, I'm still confused. GFR was a tad counter-culture, but hey, they did give us that one, some kind of wonderful tune that everyone loves to this day - Locomotion. "Please clap."
So with no further belay, here's my Mark Farner tee, signed by THE very (thankfully) shirted man himself.
1023162249.jpg

Ok - ok, I know. To anyone who doesn't remember Sputnik, "B o o o r - i n g".
Wait! That would make a good sailing tee shirt. Or a boat name. Am I right?

But it's also my waist size.
This is a forum of partial and unfair judges where you will be judged. On everything. Except that.
Enough of this mindlass sniveling. I need to solve the mystery of how all my gear lube escaped...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
It's a 73-shirt.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking three guys called in sick, so there were only 73 Trombones.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
It's a 73-shirt.
I was thinking three guys called in sick, so there were only 73 Trombones.[/QUOTE]
That's why there was no parade. Or if there was it wasn't very big.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Time to modernize the ageless importance of 73:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
@flynhi4u and others who may still be interested in the shirt mentioned above (the only thing I like better than sailing - is sailing with my wife) is available again at the link shown earlier until Dec 13th ;)

Cheers,
Russ