Hunter 23.5 Updating Electrical Panel

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
In the process of replacing the bilge pump on my 23.5, I discovered that the wires running from the electrical panel to the pump seemed a bit rotted. When I went to replace them, I found that I could not pull them out. They seem to be embedded in the foam between the inner and outer hull where they run up into the panel. Anyone try replacing old wire in their 23.5? Is there some trick to getting the old wires out? I'm afraid of pulling too much and breaking the wire up inside where I can't get to it.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Not familiar with 23.5, but any wire can be run using a metal or fiberglass fishtape. The metal ones work best - I have both. The fiberglass ones tend to curl up unless guided thru conduit.
My guess it if the wires are disconnected, they will come out if you pull enough. You might want to tie a messenger line on one end so you can pull the new wires.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Propellerhead
send me a photo as a refresher. I will then talk to you. I was involved with this boat all too well.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Easy to run a new wire from the panel down to the locker where the battery was originally installed.
The original wire may have been taped or caught in foam between the ballast tank and the floor. If you do not have a fish tape a tape measure or a piece of wire can be used to snake a pull line between the two lockers. Another route would be across to under the sink but you'd have to pull out the water tank. Would be worthwhile to pull a couple of extra sets of wires for a 12V plug, radio or anything else you may want toad later on.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Rick makes a good point. It's a good idea to try and predict other mods and pull whatever wire cable you will need. Or see if there's a way to run a conduit and feed wire thru it as needed. A well planned system is the best beginning.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
Perhaps not a good idea, but if the cable embedded in the foam isn't rotted (at least at the point just before it enters the foam) isn't rotted you could run a new cable just to the foam and splice it there. I know, I know, likely a big no-no, but if all else fails?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I believe I read that the interior paneling is glued to the fiberglass structure. I would bet that your wire is stuck as it runs through a glue strip leading up to the panel. Im interested in what you find out as I will be doing some electrical work on my 23.5 this winter as well. In fact, Im wanting to do what RW mentioned above and wire up a radio and a USB charger outlet on the sink pedestal, as well as an inverter. Any pics of the exposed panel area would be appreciated.

Jun 2, 2004
Here is a trick to view the passage for the bilge pump wire

Stick you phone down there and take a picture. Then you'll see exactly what your dealing with.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It has been a long time but can you refresh my memory just exactly where the bilge pump is as I was thinking under the rear berth. If so I may have a solution.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Here are some pics

Looking down into the port locker is the bilge pump

20170115_150706.jpg

Looking towards the stern from inside the starboard locker, you can see the bilge pump wires and the main power going up.

20170115_151700.jpg

Here's an annotated shot of the electrical panel.

20170115_152951.jpg

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
You can see all the wires going into foam. They are stuck fast. I'll try pushing some fish tape through when I get a chance. The trick will be that it has go left from the panel and then turn down along the hull.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Calgary, Canada
I have a 1995 23.5 but can't make sense of the annotated photo of the wiring. What's the brown wooden-looking surface at the bottom of the picture?

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
The brown surface is what it looks like behind the hull liner in the stern berth. We're in the process of refitting our boat and the hull liner was badly stained. Just haven't put the new liner up yet. The picture is taken standing in the center isle of the cabin looking towards the corner with the electrical panel.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I think the brown is the fiberglass of the exterior, then the foam, then the interior wall plastic. It would be helpful to know how much of the wall is filled up with the foam. Makes pushing and pulling wires through those areas nearly impossible. Maybe crazy Dave can enlighten us.

Jun 2, 2004
If that foam is the only obstacle no big deal. Mine is not that thick there. just poke around with a long screw driver and pull the wires through it. Attach a pull string first though so you can pull the new wires back.

Sep 19, 2016
Caliber 33 Sebastian, FL
Hasn't come loose just pulling on it but I didn't try dislodging it with a screw driver. I should have time to try that tonight.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Can someone take a full interior photo of a 23.5 so I can recall. My memrory is not as good as it once was but if photos of the cabin one forward and one back, probably will jog my memory. I am trying to figure the run of the wires from the bilge pump to the electrical pane. Like I said it has been a long time and if one was close by with access I would take a trip over to look.
@rgranger, do you know of any at Smith Mt. Lake? @caverun any at VISA? I will also check with Tom Hardy too.