Holding tank vent clogged

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Catalina 30 Gulfport, Mississippi
Ok, just got off the phone with Catalina Florida, he was very adamant about not recommending a mushroom through hull, but recommended a clamshell through hull vent because of water ingress. To be honest, if he's referring to something like this,
http://images.jamestowndistributors.com/woeimages/vetus/large/11788.jpg
then he's merely making a cosmetic distinction because this is not going to keep water out any more than an open hole will. I don't feel I got anywhere in that conversation. Maybe I'll try California in a few hours when they open.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Did he tell you WHERE on the boat he would put that clamshell vent?

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Right, but I didn't have a boat with a head back then...I had a Hobie Tandem Island! This internet is something...

Oh, the guy at Catalina did tell me the medicine cabinet unscrews to access the underside of the stanchion location if I decide to just replace the hose and waller out the hole. That sounds comforting.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Ah, finally an answer that helps (a little). Now if only that other thread would get some attention....

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Did he tell you WHERE on the boat he would put that clamshell vent?
I just saw you wrote this. Yeah, he said below the toerail, or as high as you can get it. I really don't get why he made such a distinction between the two holes...

Oct 12, 2012
Catalina 36 East Greenwich
Thanks, Peggy - Appreciate your comment on my suggestion to relocate the holding tank vent. Not sure I am using this Forum correctly - a newbie - bear with me. I have done some research and see you are quite famous!
Is there a simple way to introduce more oxygen into the holding tank as you recommend? We use KO exclusively and pump out fairly regularly. I have replaced the vent hose and cleaned the vent itself. The PO replaced the head with a Jabsco electric flush. Do you favor converting to fresh water - I think we could dedicate the bow tank to the head. Thank you very much.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Is there a simple way to introduce more oxygen into the holding tank as you recommend?
1. Move the vent line out the stanchion into a larger diameter vent line (1") ...2. Despite what the Catalina dealer told Josef, the thru-hull needs to be an open "bulkhead" or "mushroom" thru-hull. 3. If K.O. isn't getting the job done, try a tank product called Odorlos Odorlos. Unlike live bacteria which needs a good supply of oxygen, the active ingredient in Odorlos is nitrates, which promote oxygen release from organic matter ( the waste itself). It often works in tanks that don't get quite enough oxygen to let K.O. work entirely aerobically.

If you're the least bit handy with a hole saw, replacing the vent line with a 1" line isn't difficult either--and amazingly inexpensive too, thanks to a li'l gadget called the Uniseal UNISEAL Warehouse All you need is the Unseal and piece of PVC pipe about 6" long. Seal the original vent fitting with a threaded plug wrapped in plenty of teflon tape.

The dealer is right that you wouldn't want to use one on a water or fuel vent, but a little sea water in a holding tank won't hurt a thing! One of the major advantages an open thru-hull is, not only does it allow a LOT more air exchange, but it gives you the ability to stick a hose nozzle up against it and backflush the line every time you wash the boat...you'll never have another vent blockage!

You'll find a lot of discussions about all of this in the archives of the two forums I mentioned earlier...and in my new book.

Oct 12, 2012
Catalina 36 East Greenwich
Thank you so much! I am handy (own a boat afterall), but after reading these many posts am a bit nervous about where to place the new thru hull - sounds like below the vented stanchion, high on the topsides would work - basically along the existing hose run? Thanks for the suggestion about introducing more air (really do not like the stanchion vent slot) and adjusting the chemical - this is a brilliant resource - and so fast! Your new book will I am sure be a most popular gift this holiday season ;-)

JosefR

Sep 18, 2016
Okay, I don't know if I ordered the right one or not, but I ordered a 1 inch Uniseal. The only PVC pipe that will fit is a three-quarter inch because it has an outside diameter of 1.050 inches. Hopefully the sewage tube also has that inside diameter. And the flange on the through hole as well will need to be that same size. This has the potential to be a mismatching nightmare.

My $2 Uniseal cost me $20 to ship so that I can have it tomorrow.

Nov 16, 2012
Catalina 310, 2000, #31 31 Santa Cruz
Okay, I don't know if I ordered the right one or not, but I ordered a 1 inch Uniseal. The only PVC pipe that will fit is a three-quarter inch because it has an outside diameter of 1.050 inches. Hopefully the sewage tube also has that inside diameter. And the flange on the through hole as well will need to be that same size. This has the potential to be a mismatching nightmare.

My $2 Uniseal cost me $20 to ship so that I can have it tomorrow.
If you get 1" ID hose for the vent line it should all work fine. Trident 148 is what you want.

druid

Apr 22, 2009
Ontario 32 Pender Harbour
One quick hint: right after the thru-hull, make sure the line goes at least horizontal, maybe a but uphill. That way, if you ARE heeling enough to put the thru-hull in the water, the water has to go uphill to get to the tank.

druid

Nov 16, 2012
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/perko--acetal-resin-mushroom-head-barbed--P011_332_001_018
That's the one I was going to get from the nearby West Marine. It doesn't say nylon.

My biggest concern now is drilling a hole on the outside of my boat. Hopefully the place that I want to drill it is one single layer of the material.
Behind these bags.
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e375/madwand1/20160909_102114_zpsqdqwpp1m.jpg
The Forespar Marelon version costs more, but is a more durable material for the thru hull.
http://www.westmarine.com/buy/forespar--marelon-mushroom-heads-barbed--P011_332_002_513

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
I believe I am crazy... why would anyone install a vent as part of a stanchion? Or, inside a stanchion? we also had friends that had a new Cat. 27 a few years back and their head vent was in the anchor locker....every time they used the head it sent horrific fumes into the v-berth, i.e. if the v-berth hatch was open....I think they must have been playing with me...don't you want them accessible so you can remove bugs and nests from the vent itself...?

Nov 16, 2012
I believe I am crazy... why would anyone install a vent as part of a stanchion? Or, inside a stanchion? we also had friends that had a new Cat. 27 a few years back and their head vent was in the anchor locker....every time they used the head it sent horrific fumes into the v-berth, i.e. if the v-berth hatch was open....I think they must have been playing with me...don't you want them accessible so you can remove bugs and nests from the vent itself...?
It's a very common arrangement on Catalinas. Don't know about other designs.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
why would anyone install a vent as part of a stanchion?
Running the vent line off a fuel or water tank into a stanchion with an opening on the aft side of it is actually an excellent idea because it keeps sea water out of the fuel and water tank. But when holding tanks came along, it never occurred to boat builders that holding waste is any different from holding fuel or water, so they saw no need to vent waste tanks any differently. Most of 'em still don't know there's any difference and don't want to learn either...so they just keep on doing it the same way...making it the owner's problem to solve.

we also had friends that had a new Cat. 27 a few years back and their head vent was in the anchor locker.
I'd bet money that tank was installed by the dealer, not Catalina factory. 'Cuz USCG regs require that all waste holding tanks be vented to the outside of the boat because methane is flammable. While builders are clueless when it comes to onboard sewage management, they don't do anything that violates CG regs. Otoh, some of the things I've seen things that boat DEALERS have done just leave me wondering "what WERE they THINKING????" or whether they thought at all!

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Running the vent line off a fuel or water tank into a stanchion with an opening on the aft side of it is actually an excellent idea because it keeps sea water out of the fuel and water tank. But when holding tanks came along, it never occurred to boat builders that holding waste is any different from holding fuel or water, so they saw no need to vent waste tanks any differently. Most of 'em still don't know there's any difference and don't want to learn either...so they just keep on doing it the same way...making it the owner's problem to solve.

I'd bet money that tank was installed by the dealer, not Catalina factory. 'Cuz USCG regs require that all waste holding tanks be vented to the outside of the boat because methane is flammable. While builders are clueless when it comes to onboard sewage management, they don't do anything that violates CG regs. Otoh, some of the things I've seen things that boat DEALERS have done just leave me wondering "what WERE they THINKING????" or whether they thought at all!