handheld vhf

Sep 6, 2015
Unknown snipe delaware bay
Anyone have any experience with the westmarine vhf 460? It seems to fit the bill perfectly for my needs on the bays. As the weather gets colder I am all alone, so being able to reach out and talk to someone seems prudent.
Eric

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
I have nothing against WM but they only re-brand Standard Horizon radios available elsewhere for less money.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Consider the Standard Horizon’s HX870 at about $50 less and with lots of features as was mentioned above. I have the model it replaced and I've been very happy with it and have their fixed mount VHF's in both boats and again have been very happy with them also. I was able to pickup NOAA weather using my Standard Horizon about 130 miles from Florida in the Bahamas and love the AIS that radio provides,

Sumner
=====================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...
MacGregor 26-S Mods...
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Sep 6, 2015
All good stuff, thanx.
This afternoons outing being the reason for the querry. Weather temp here was in the mid sixties, tide was right for a beach launch, and the forecast was for variable winds 10 ish. I got to the beach and it was blowing 18 and gusting in the twentys. I went anyway. Winds out of the northwest, the snipe is a crab sailing pig without the board down. By the time I got the boat over the bar and the board down I was well south. Out of the shelter from the ocean dunes it got nautical. 1-2 foot chop with some whitecaps, and I am desperately trying to beat upwind to abort the day. I beat upwind and tacked well for a down wind run back to the launch point. All went well.
When I launched their were a few kite boarders out, by the time I got back, maybe 1.5 hours of white knuckling the tiller, they had called it. The snipe is a hard bitch to self rescue in good conditions, so one tiller slip and I would have wanted to reach out and talk to someone.
I will take a hard lookat the sh hx870.
Thanx for the help!
Eric

Sep 6, 2015
I just looked at that unit and bought it through their factory outlet store.
Thanx again
Eric

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Glad to help Eric. Happy you had the experience and made it safely back to the beach. One never knows what experience will come. One of the joys of sailing.
Stay safe. Program your MMSI in your new radio - Maritime Mobile Service Identities (MMSIs) are nine digit numbers used by maritime digital selective calling (DSC), automatic identification systems (AIS) and certain other equipment to uniquely identify a ship, your boat, you or a coast radio station. The FCC issues them or you can get one free through the BoatUS website. (https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/). Code it into your radio (instructions in the manual) and you can make a one button call to emergency locate you within 3 feet. Part of the GPS / DSC function of your new radio.

Oct 22, 2014
Congrats on your radio and safety action.
Now get your MMSI from BoatUS ( https://www.boatus.com/mmsi/ ). It is a 9 digit number that will help the Coast Guard or any boater find you within 3 feet. Program the number into your new radio (instructions in the manual) and with the push of the red DSC button you make an emergency digital phone call to all boats and CG that you are in trouble and need help. We get your name, radio info, GPS coordinates, and contact info from the push of a button. It may help if you get in a real emergency.
Sail safe.

Jul 26, 2016
American Sail 18 MDR
I second Sumner on the Std Horizon Hx870. It has DSC and Distress Notification. It transmits your geographical position, your mmsi (hopefully you have one - It's free at Boat US) and repeats it. Why we cannot change the MMSI on a VHF escapes me.
The MMSI does not aid in finding you, It identifies you if you filled out the form. It tells the Coast Guard the size of your vessel, vessel number, etc. The Hx870 does no have AIS.

Oct 22, 2014
The Hx870 does no have AIS.
True, but it does have GPS. And that is important. It is how the CG can find you when you make the emergency call. DSC transmision sends a digital signal with your information using the MMSI number, your GPS coordinates, and a mayday all with the press of a button to all vhf radios within range. The message keeps repeating like an Amber alert over the radio until the radio quits due to battery or radio failure.

Sep 6, 2015
News reported a man was plucked out of the Cheaspeke bay on Sunday after his 14 foot sailboat capsized. Man spent 1 hour in the water. Aside from the obvious based on conditions, I bet he wishes he had a vhf and a pfd on. What a numbskull.
Eric