H40.5 ledgend

Oct 1, 2008
Hunter 40.5 Port Charlotte
Have a crack in the main window over the dnnet and behind the mast. this is port/window that is as wide as the cabin. Anyone know what is the material? How could the crack be repaired?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I have one also in same window panel. I have had it for a couple years. I have wiped some sealant over it so that it will not leak. I haven't decided what to do yet. Replacement is probably the best choice, but also the most expensive and laborious.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Lextan, gray tint and the most important thing it comes in flat sheets so you will have to get it molded/manufactured or find a source the makes them. molding is not that hard if you have an oven large enough though (which is the problem with this very large port light)

Oct 1, 2008
I checked with the Hunter parts folks and they say Plexiglas. I am planning to use the Weld-on 4 product which is solvent glue MEK based. Will let you know, I just ordered the solvent/glue. Google this, the results are impressive.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I checked with the Hunter parts folks and they say Plexiglas. I am planning to use the Weld-on 4 product which is solvent glue MEK based. Will let you know, I just ordered the solvent/glue. Google this, the results are impressive.
I googled the Weld-on 4 product and read what I could. It appears that this product is thin enough to wick into the crack and then bond the pieces. I would be very interested to learn of the result. I am not very satisfied with just wiping sealant over the crack on my overhead window.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Tony at Select Plastics is the very opinionated, big-hearted, expert who knows more about plastic boat windows than anyone you will talk to. The man loves his work.

Oct 1, 2008
I will post the results. Since the glue is a Hazmat, it has to ship ground, so it is not expected until 23 Jan. Many many years ago, I glued plexiglass with this solvent. It was killer, the bond is chemical, melting the P'glass, very strong.