H216 - Cracks and bow repair -

Dec 1, 2008
Hunter 216 Lake Pleasant
Ebay boat for $650. For a 2004 Sailboat that seems like a good deal. Let see if that is my opinion after this...

Question #1 - how far back do I carve out the bow. The foam is very soft. I have a 400ml tube of plexus but will need more fibers for filling - or do I shape something to give it some form, and then fibers and plexus to shape?

Bow:

View media item 25750
#2 - The floor is bubbly and loose on one side about 4 feet back from the companionway, and about 2 feet on the other. Do i just peal it off and lay glass mat and resin?

Cockpit

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
$650 for a sailboat would be a good deal. If you bought a boat. You didn't. That's a basket case.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Honestly that boat has been rode too hard and put away wet more than any other I've ever seen. Hate to be a Debbie-Downer, but I'd walk away from this one too. Good luck with your decision.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
How?

How does a boat get that damaged in just 12 years time?

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
If you have already purchased this boat.... I'd part it out. You could probably walk away with $800 in cash that way and come out $150 ahead. A lot of work for $150 but sill better than dumping $2000 into fixes that are dubious at best.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I do not think he bought it but would still advise walk away. That boat from what I see way of damage going back to my investigative days was involved in a serious accident and note this from the other damage and pattern to it. I was involved with this boat and introduced it.

Dec 1, 2008
Hunter 216 Lake Pleasant
Thanks for the opinions on the purchase. That is not really my question. The boat, sails, and trailer are sound except for that chunk missing from the bow. I may keep my eyes open for a dis-masted boat of similar size but for now I will be fixing and racing her in the winter sun in the desert.

Plan A for the bow is to make a form from the good part of the bow, mix up a batch of west system balloons and plexus, and fill/fair. Maybe use some strands of fiberglass with plexus mushed into it so it stays together.

For the cracks grind out a V and fill/fair with whatever plastic weld is available at lowes - i think they have the devon and jb weld stuff.

Only warm enough day for the next few is today. Will take more pics and post in project folder.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You are taking on a lot of headaches as it def. appears the boat was seriously involved in an accident. You will regret buying that boat sir. I know that boat all too well and advised Hunter how to repair plus I was an insurance investigator before comeing a Hunter dealer. Walk away is the best advice I will give you and will say nothing more.