Go CUBS Go !

Oct 9, 2013
Beneteau First 38 Belmont Harbor
On the boat tonight at Belmont harbor just east of Wrigley field. Pandemonium. We can hear the crowds in the stadium and on the streets around Wrigley. Lots of fireworks - almost as much as July 4th. Edison (our dog) is hiding in the v-berth. Harbor is still about 1/2 full even though we are supposed to haul out by end of October. Lots of boaters are keeping their boats in the water as long as possible to either watch the game or come back to after the game.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I'm about a 20 minute walk west of Wrigley and just had fireworks exploding right outside my windows, not to mention multiple hovering news helecoptors. Pandemonium is right.
Go CUBS!

Jan 6, 2010
We had Maddon here for awhile & the area loved him.

Hell, I split season tickets with some guys.
1st. level balcony right on the rail halfway up the line to first base.

Originally from Philly, I always wanted to go to Wrigley Field to watch a game between the Cubs-n-Phillies with the wind blowing out!

Way to go CUBS, way to go Maddon!!!!

CR

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've been devoted to the Cubs since the mid-sixties. Family, friends and I took the L from Wilmette or Skokie to see countless afternoon games. Family from downstate never failed to stay at our house for every Cardinal series (they were Cubs fans, not redbird fans - do you think they could stay at our house?). In the eighties, it was more like a party, with all the visits to neighborhood taverns. My eyes are still swollen & red after last night. I was absolutely thrilled to see Billy Williams having a ball after the game. The spirits of Ernie, Ron & Jack (Steve Goodman and my dad, too, how could I forget!) were with them, for sure.

This year is too good to be true already. This next week will be cake! Montrose Harbor, Wrigley Field & Belmont Harbor ... the golden triangle for northside sailors?

Jan 6, 2010
Scott,

I think alot of it had to do with Joe,
He's something else & the fact that they have Lester didn't hurt their chances.

CR

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Served 4 yrs at Great Lakes Naval Training Center. Hope they finally win it all! Chief

Oct 26, 2008
Well, Joe was signed to the right place at the right time. He was smart enough to see that! He didn't carry the team like Rizzo, Bryant & Russell did all year. He didn't provide the spark that Baez & Contreras has. David Ross made a huge difference all year. Joe says, "you go, we go" to Fowler and nothing seems to be more true. Maddon isn't on the field for the incredible defense and he didn't help throw Arrieta's no-hitter or any of the other great pitching performances.

I'd have a hard time saying that he was the difference maker, just as I would have a hard time saying he doesn't make enough of a difference to matter, (because the difference he makes does matter). Near the end of the regular season, I predicted that Addy Russell will eventually be the biggest star on the Cubs in a few years. I think I may still be right, but that was before seeing Javy Baez in the playoffs day after day.

Jan 6, 2010
Scott,

Wow man, I'm disappointed that you do not give any credit to Joe.
Whatever ya feel man. I would have thought that all the posts would be positive.

Did Rizzo, Bryant & Russell make this happen?

No need to reply pal, as I've said my piece & will ignore this thread further.

CR

Oct 26, 2008
I give plenty of credit to Joe Maddon! You seemed to indicate that he did it on his own with a little help from Jon Lester. There's no denying that he and Jon deserve their share of the glory, but there isn't a manager in the Hall of Fame that didn't get there mostly because they had great players and much luck. Of course, they make their own luck when they are great managers, but they can't prevent their players from going into a tailspin at the wrong time either. It didn't look that great for Maddon or the Cubs after Game 3 at the Dodgers. The players turned it around. Cubs have a fantastic team right now and it wasn't assembled by Joe Maddon. It's not a knock, just the fact. It's too much of a mystery to know what makes a team win. There is no way to give all credit to one person.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I remember being at work with a radio plugged to my ear during the 1984 series when Ron Cey "the penguin" helped the Cubs to almost go all the way. Hope they do it this time.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That game 7 was a great baseball game! Reminded me why I love the game. You have to have a special kind of cool, calm determination to be a great baseball player...and you need a team.

Oct 26, 2008
Wow, what a way to end the series and it is interesting how this conversation evolved. Maddon basically screwed the pooch in the last 2 games and his players bailed him out! Of course, this is my opinion, but the talk all around baseball is how bizarre Maddon's decisions were. I was beside myself when he took Hendricks out, but that isn't even close to how much there was to it. All season long, Maddon kept talking about "play your game" and "don't do anything different". Well, he got to the last 2 games and panicked with his pitching decisions. When Lester bounced the ball off Rossy's mask, they panned to the dugout and it looked like Maddon was shrinking from fear. They kept panning the cameras in there for the rest of the game and he looked smaller and more frightened as time went by. It was the most incredible thing I've ever seen happen in a ML dugout. But the players stayed loose and alive (and I give Maddon credit for developing that culture)! One of the most incredible aspects of the game came in the bottom of the 9th. Chapman had nothing left physically and he was emotionally crushed. He went out there with basically nothing except sliders in the 80's and he somehow kept Cleveland from scoring! That, and the rain delay was the turning point.
I had thought that Maddon basically panicked, and I would let it go at that, except his idiotic move to make Baez bunt with 2 strikes just shows the arrogance of Maddon to make the game about himself. There was no fathomable reason to have Baez bunt except that Maddon wanted to put his stamp on the game. He wants everybody to say "see what a maverick and a genius Maddon is". Well, it failed. Afterwards, Maddon had the nerve to say in an interview "everything was going perfectly until the home run". That was pretty bizarre because his managerial blunders led to the home run. I can't fault Lester's pitching because he was great for a few innings after the meltdown, but it didn't make any sense to bring him in when Maddon decided to make the change. First of all, it's embarrassing that he can't throw to first and it could have been disastrous when he failed to start a routine double play to end an inning. Is he a professional ballplayer or what? There is no excuse for his incapability to throw a ball to a base. He stood like a statue when Rossy had to sprint all the way down the line to field the swinging bunt that went bad. I hope he sees a shrink over the winter because I'm a little concerned about him next year when he doesn't have his friend and crutch GrandpaRossy to catch for him. What I also think is a bit bizarre is the way Maddon and Lester started talking about Lester being used in Game 7 immediately after Game 5 was over. It seemed like Maddon was on a pre-determined mission to insert Lester into the game, thus undermining the entire bullpen and even Hendricks. Hendricks had that game under complete control and it could have ended uneventfully. He was visibly PISSED when he came out. I'm thinking that the team will eventually need to air this out with Maddon, because Maddon's arrogance nearly blew it for the Cubs (and Hendricks never got the credit he deserves). THANKS to the incredible team, they won! I guess Maddon's maddening decisions at least led to a whole lot of drama, but jeeze louise, do the Cubs always need to make it so agonizing? Why is it always so hard for them? The White Sox ended their drought by going 11-1 in the playoffs and 4-0 in the WS!

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
BTW North-Siders (and all you other bandwagon jumpers ;)). Have fun today! Man, do I wish I was there! I had some thought about jumping in my car last night and making the 15 hour drive! What a beautiful scene it will be. Going past Belmont Harbor I assume and ending in Grant Park. What a fantastic day ... Have Fun!

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
Pretty day at the marina. Got the boat put away except for the new cover being made.

I think @Scott T-Bird is leaving his boat in the water just to fly his Cubs flag.
IMG_4831.jpg