Ghunkholling Tips and Tidbits

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
And a jetboil for making the coffee. I've been struggling to not buy a second. One to keep in my pack and the other in the boat.
+1 on both the Via and the Jetboil.

The Jetboil hanging kit works pretty well too - I sometimes hang it from the boom, to avoid kicking it over with 4 of us moving around a crowded boat. Or from the companionway slider latch to make hot drinks while underway. Not quite the same as a real gimbaled stove, but I doubt I'll ever have one of those in my C-22 - and an Origo wouldn't do double duty for backpacking, either.

Nov 9, 2008
Pearson-O'Day 290 Portland Maine
We freeze everything that will. For instance, orange juice frozen today will thaw perfectly for breakfast tomorrow. Another thing we do for longer cruises is bring a decent cooler that keeps the meat and dairy colder than the ancient built-in ice box, especially since we're opening if much less frequently than the icebox ( beer and water). One thing we never sail without . . . soup or Dinte Moore. A can of back up has saved us a few times. Cover the seams with duct tape to prevent rust rings.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Bagged ice sucks! We cruise with a Yeti up in the forepeak, full of nothing but frozen 1/2 gallon jugs of ice. These are transferred one or two at a time as needed (generally once a day) to the "fridge" cooler. When the jugs thaw, they are now clean fresh water to be used for whatever.

For skeeters ... big +1 for Thermacell! They are AMAZING. I carry two on board just in case, although one has always done the trick. We're going gunkholing way up Little Shark River, deep into the everglades next week - something I just wouldn't have done before I discovered Thermacell. The only shortcoming is, you have to put a new "mat" in it every 3 hours, or else you are unprotected and just wasting butane. I hear a 12-hour mat is available now, but have not tried it.