German style?

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I was reading a review about the Elan E4 in the February issue of Sail magazine. (pg 30-31) In the "Under Sail" paragraph it states "The German-style mainsheet and main traveler were particulary well situated for anyone trimming the main in a racing situation." My question is: What are the advantages of a German-style mainsheet and traveler system, if any?

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
German (or Admiralty) style mainsheet systems comes into favor on fractionally rigged performances boats around 35 feet and above.

Up to this point, a gross tune (6:1) / fine tune (24:1) mainsheet system works well. The maintrimmer can play the main 'dinghy style'. But after say around 400 sqr feet, the 6:1 gets hard and the 24:1 gets short.

So.

The German system uses a very long sheet that is run to large (Lewmar 42?) on each side of the cockpit just in front of the traveler. The sheet runs up the side-deck and via a block turn to the gooseneck, down the boom and then down to the traveler via a 2:1.

The mainsheet trimmer sits high side and around the winch, easing the sheet by hand and bringing it it in with the winch handle. Selden now makes a winch that can be eased (backed) by pressing a button on the handle and turning backwards - the winch sheets out. Clever and made for this application!

The First 36.7 has a dinghy style main and that about the biggest boat I would ever want to trim main on while racing. The newer First 35 (same size boat) has the German system and its much easier on the trimmer.

Note this about racing and contrinious trimming. For cruising the difference is not early as important.

Elan E4

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I think that was the way our Leopard 47 in the BVI's was rigged. Seemed unnatural. :confused:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Thanks for the explanation. I've seen similar setups which basically accomplished the same thing but never knew that it was referred to as "German Style". I learn something new every day.