Fuel Gauge lens

Feb 26, 2009
2 26 Great Kills Harbor
Hey Members !
I've got an annoying problem with my fuel gauge. I can hardly read it!!
the sun has done a number on it. its yellowish and faded to the point that i cant see the fuel level!
Now to get it replaced I'm going round and round with Beneteau and VDO.
Bottom line. gotta replace the whole gauge.
any body have the same problem? any easy solution ? like just replacing the $.02 plastic lens?
Thanks for reading the post and any help you can give.
Mike Boyle
Another Girl
'03 Beneteau 331

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I don't think you could get the old lens out without wrecking the housing. You could try to cut the plastic just inside the edge then glue a new piece on top of that. Don't know if that would work and it probably wouldn't stay water proof. Sounds like an awful lot of work for the cost involved. Just replace it.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
If its a vdo gauge, get another vdo gauge and replace it... vdo is a common manufacture and they are only an internet search away... and usually affordable.

Last edited:
May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Replace and relocate inside the cabin. It is not like we look that frequently at the fuel gauge. Better yet and more accurate get an hour meter, calculate the average fuel burn for your engine and maintain a log for the hours at which the tank was topped off. Simple calculations will tell you at any time how much fuel has been used and what is left in the tank. Useful to anticipate how many hours of motoring left under any conditions and calculate range to next refuel opportunity.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
That's what I'm doing on my old pick up truck til I get time to chase down the wonky wiring on its fuel gauge.

Feb 26, 2009
2 26 Great Kills Harbor
well the outer bezel turns 1/4 turn and its off ! if i had the lens i could replace it in less than 60 seconds!
Yup! looks like i'll be ordering a replacement from Beneteau! $125+
one last hope im trying a plastics company in NJ.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
well the outer bezel turns 1/4 turn and its off ! if i had the lens i could replace it in less than 60 seconds!
It is possible to polish plastic.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Go to a canvas shop. Have them cut a circle of stratoglass or some other window material for a dodger/bimini. How about the lens from a pre-LED flashlight? I'd be surprised if Benny had that part anyway.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Why would you buy it from Beneteau? VDO fuel gauges are all over the place price wise, anywhere from $20.00 to about $35.00. You just need to know what the resistance readings are of the sender..

Most US fuel senders/gauges are 240 - 33 Ohm and many Euro models are 10 - 184 Ohm. VDO makes some other ranges too but these are readily available for about $100.00 less than what Beneteau wants.

Once you know what your sender is just buy the right VDO gauge.. Try and find the model or brand of your sender or test the resistance then order the appropriate gauge..

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mechmike
I have had some luck cleaning and polishing plastic lenses using Meguires 17 and 10 polishes. Clean microfiber cloth and a lot of rubbing.