Fuel filter. recomendation

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Hello all, I just changed my fuel filter a racor water seperator. I went to napa not thinking about it I replaced it with a gold filter that simply there catalog showed was a replacement filter. then I thought well what was the micron filtration no where did it state on the package. but after thinking about it I went to my local napa store and told me it was a 2 micron filter. I think that is to fine for a yanmar . or boat motor and think that perhaps a 10 no 20 micron would be better. and last longer what are any imputs that some of you that have used these filters. good or bad

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We use 20 micron filters for the water separator and 2 micron for the secondary filter at the engine. This reduces the incidence of the primary filter becoming clogged especially when sailing offshore where the fuel gets sloshed around and dislodges sediments from the tank. Anything less than 20 microns will be captured by the secondary filter. Even using the 20 micron primary we find that the secondary filter remains pretty clean between changes. We know our fuel tank is a little dirty and have had the Racor filters clog up. The engine will start loosing RPM and will eventually die of fuel starvation.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
The small fuel filter on the Yanmar is 2 micron. Most of us have a Racor filter upstream of that, and the common wisdom is that it should be 10 micron. That said, 2 micron for the Racor is OK - you will never need to change the small Yanmar filter, but you may have to change the Racor more frequently!

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Jim is correct using a 2 micron filter at the Racor will negate the function of the 2 micron secondary filter at the engine. Using a 10 or a 20 micron will allow both filters to exercise their functions for a longer period of time. Like I said even with a 20 at the Racor we find our 2 micron secondary filter to be practically clean when we go change them.

Oct 6, 2007
Hunter H30 1982 Chicago IL
I use a 30 micron Racor 120 series at the primary filter/water separator. That series is available in 2, 10 & 30 micron sizes. For the secondary filter I use the the one recommended in the Yanmar service manual for 1GM, 2GM & 3GM engines; Yanmar part #104500-55710. It's rated at 10-15 microns.

As the others said, a 2 micron at the primary filter will need to be changed more frequently, while the secondary filter won't really be doing anything.

If you don't have a secondary filter, then based on service manual recommendation, I would think that a Racor 10 micron would be OK. Don't use a 30 micron filter if there is no secondary filter.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
thank you for your input, as I figured that a 2 micron was way to fine for a primary filter, it was just that I went to a napa store and did not bother to ask what micron it was at the time of purchace and then thought about it later. but I will run this filter for a season and change it inthe summer when I do and oil change. Thanks

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Be sure to carry a spare or two. Especially since a 2 micron is likely to clog relatively often.

Jun 5, 2010
Hunter 25 Burlington NJ
Be sure to carry a spare or two. Especially since a 2 micron is likely to clog relatively often.
I sell these things all day long and have to agree with what Ed says. Changing a fuel-water separator is (or should) be one of the quickest and easiest things you can do to improve or remedy engine-running issues. You'd be surprised (or maybe you wouldn't be) how naive most motorboaters are about basic practical matters like water separators. I can't count how many people seem to have no idea what this is good for; and motorboaters in general are not good with maintaining spares supplies (unless the supplies make the boat go faster or shine brighter).

I also like the idea of having a 10-micron and a 2-micron in series for a small diesel. BTW: in general, nothing over 10 micron will handle ethanol-blended gasoline. Mercruiser still sells 22-micron filters; I guess there are still non-ethanol markets out there somewhere.

Large diesel yachts (even some Cherubini 44s) get equipped with TWO Racor filters in series, each fitted with a shutoff valve, so that even when the engine is running you can take one filter out of the line, drain the bowl and replace the element, put it back in line, and then change the other one. This is not prohibitively expensive to do, especially when you do a lot of motoring in canals or the ICW, and it's especially valuable if you know you're the type that never fixes a leaky roof till it rains. :badbad: