Fresh water strainer mounting

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Getting ready to install a new groco fresh water strainer. Thought about moving it outside the engine compartment,the other side of the wall, to the aft cabin maybe even the fuel filter as well.
Any downside to doing this? If I move the fuel filters on the other side of the wall into the aft cabin is this OK?
The reason for this is I look at the available space and as a mechanic oriented person want to keep future main't clearance issues to a minimum

So do fuel filters have to be located in the engine compartment? Yes I guess there could be a fire and smell danger but what do the insurance companies say about this?
Would you keep both in the engine compartment?
Thks

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
In addition to the smell issues you mentioned, I'd be concerned that any leaks in water or fuel lines would be a lot harder to clean up in an aft cabin than in the engine compartment. Also wherever the lines exit and re-enter the engine compartment will be an opportunity for noise, heat, and engine odors to escape into the living space.

Edit: one more thing - from a resale standpoint, if I were a potential buyer I might need to consider the cost and effort to put them back into the engine compartment.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
We have our water strainers under the sole of the aft cabin but I would not consider moving the Racor water separator back there. Having had to replace filter elements when under way with the unavoidable fuel spill I would hate to have the smell of fuel permeate the aft berth and to have a fuel discharge via the bilge.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You will want them both over a bilge compartment. The reason the fuel filter is is in the engine compartment is to contain regulated materials (fuel) in a contained bilge. Your Beneteau has a dedicated engine room bilge that does not drain to your main bilge until it reaches full flood.

For the RAW water strainer it needs to be somewhere that can contain the inevitable slop of pulling strainers, draining strainers, feeding antifreeze, and flushing engines. Again, having that over the engine bilge contains the mess to a dedicated bilge.

If you want convenience consider moving your strainer within the engine bay, and replacing your OEM fuel filter with an improved cartridge system with priming pump.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Gunni
great obvious points
thks
just trying to think of a way to get more room for work

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Bought the high end racors
Love them but take a lot of room

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
That is exactly why I stayed with my Racor 110 compact filter. I couldn't figure a way to shoehorn a bigger filter in there.

I think it is Catalina that have a separate fuel filter compartment built adjacent to the engine room.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
I move filters aft and put some catch pans under filter plastic Tupperware container with sticky pads so I can remove to empty I want as much room around engine as possible to work on. Engine isn't far from aft cabin so if leeks or spills gonna smell it either way

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
Yeah gunni I have the 110 downstream of my lift pump
wanted

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
My Hunter 356 has the Racor fuel filter under the bed. My fuel tank is under there also, so it is between the tank and the engine and generator. I use a zip lock under when changing it, then transfer all into a small bucket. Not ideal, but haven't spilled fuel or had diesel smell after removal. Next time I change, I'm going to put a spacer on the wall to give me a little more room between the wall and the filter.
2012-05-20_07-28-28_809.jpg

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
So it looks like opinions are different for in or out of the engine compartment
will have to take a better and longer look at this
thks