fresh water holding tank problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 26, 2008
hunter 280 Vancouver
removehtml]The gauge on my fresh water holding tank always reads full when I turn on the instruments. I thought it might be the sending unit in the tank so I tried to eliminate that possibility by disconnecting the wires in anticipation of the gauge now reading empty or zero. Much to my surprise the gauge still reads full even with the sending unit completely disconnected. My next ploy is to try to cross the wires ... anyone heard of faulty gauges or a way to check sending unit .. much appreciated !!Error: Error: expected [/URL], but found [/removehtml] instead[/removehtml]

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
The needles sometimes stick. Tapping with a finger

sometimes frees them. Disconnect the leads from the meter and see what happens. Attach a V-O-M to the leads that you took off the gauge and read the voltage there. Is the tank full? If yes spill some water and watch the V-O-M for a change. If the tank is not full add some water and watch the meter.

Jan 28, 2008
hunter 280 Vancouver
already tried disconnecting the leads..

disconnected leads and gauge still reads full....shouldn't it be reading empty if there is no signal from sending unit, When I turn all instruments off the gauge goes from full back down to zero....so it's not stuck. Any other ideas or tests i can run?

Nov 28, 2004
Hunter 310 San Pedro
Sending units

Some gauges default to full/max and others default to empty. The default is based on how the gauge reads, ground or voltage input. You need to check the wires for ohms of resistance and the gauge. The problem coud be the sender, the gauge, or the wiring. Dennis W. S/V FullSailed

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Ronw, read the rest of my post

and see what those numbers are like. The meter is apparently good so the fault must be in the wire or the sending unit.

Status
Not open for further replies.