flexbond 5000 vs 3m 5200

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
anybody care to comment on this comparison?
The MAS guy said they are comparable BUT the flexbond will last a good long time after opening vs the 5200 will dry up in a week

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Once again

the ONLY place 5200 or equivalent belongs aboard a boat is the hull to deck joint. What are you considering using it for?

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
backing plate for new thru hulls
You'd better call Groco and tell them to stop recommending 5200 for thru-hulls

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Many companies recommend things just because they are known not because they are the best choice. I would not personally use 5200 on a backing block although I make mine out of solid fiberglass, which never rot, and I permanently glass them to the hull. 5200 is as permanent as fiberglass and actually has a higher bond than the gelcoat does to the resin..

Use a lower bonding agent like 4200 or Sikaflex 291 and when your backing plates get soggy you'll be happy you did. Better yet make them out of fiberglass and they will last forever..

P.S. You must be reading a different set of Groco instructions than I have seen: Groco Instructions

As for Flex Bond I see no reason to use a product that won't disclose the following:

1) PSI bond strength??

2) What is it?? Polyurethane?, Polysulfide?, Polyether? Hybrid?

I personally don't like Tony the Tiger secret recipe products that won't even tell you the basic chemical make up or a class eg: polysulfide..

Nov 26, 2008
Endeavour 42 Cruisin
that groco sheet confuses the issue...they say do not use in-line valves. That sounds similar to what I'm doing, at their recomendation. Using a flange adapter with a thru-hull and then an in-line full flow ball valve. I think this is semantics but it does get confusing.
And the sheet doesn't say anything about what to use...I'll go take a look at their website now...
Thanks
BTW, the groco seacock guy said to use 5200 on the flange and thru-hull but not on the ball valve

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
BTW, the groco seacock guy said to use 5200 on the flange and thru-hull but not on the ball valve
Clearly he's NOT a boat owner or if he is just not DIY owner.;) As for in-line they mean in-line with a thru-hull not a flanged adapter as the flanged adapter gives the ability to through bolt the flange and it matches all the threads compatibly.

Jan 12, 2006
Catalina 25 All Over, USA
5200 should never be used for thruhulls...unless you are 100% sure they will be there forever, because they will.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.