Flathead Lake MT or lake Pend Oreille ID

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
We are thinking about next summer already, Has any one sailed Flat head Lake MT or Lake Pend Oreille ID? Are there slips that you can rent for a week or so or nice coves where one could achor out at.

What are the winds like.

Hope to hear from anyone.

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
When we first started and had only sailed once we considered Pend Oreille but switched to Priest Lake in ID and also after that went on to Kootenay in B.C..

The reason being that we didn't have much experience and locals in ID warned us that Pend Oreille can get quite dangerous if the winds pick up. Also anchoring there looked problematic over a lot of the lake due to the great depths of the lake and deep water just offshore. There looked to be more options to anchor more places on the lakes we did go to.

We loved Priest Lake.....

and going up the river (causeway)....

... to Upper Priest Lake. I'd love to go back there and highly recommend it. You can find our trip report here (2nd one down)...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor-trips-1/macgregor-trips-1-index.html

Another option to consider at Pend Oreille is the west arm of the lake that is long and narrower and shallower. To me that also looked interesting,

Sumner

======================================

1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac

Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...

Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida, Bahamas

Jun 2, 2015
Venture 22 Canyon Ferry, MT
I am interested if you anchored anywhere. We have only sailed Flathead on on 22' Mac once from Finley Point to Polson and back. Looking the charts, it looks like the whole lower end of the lake might be an option for anchorage (20-25').

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
We anchored out at Yellow bay, you can go to shore and use the washroom facility's at the campground. We also stayed at Deep bay which was our favourite. You can also stay at Finlay Point State park which has power at the docks, we did not stay there overnight buy did check it out.
Then there is Table Bay and I think there are a few docks there but I'm not sure if you can dock there or anchor out.

We used North flathead Yacht club (http://www.nfyc.org/) as our base, we could launch, leave the truck and trailer there, has showers and can walk into Sommers for a bite to eat.
Flathead is a beautiful lake.