End of the season, haul out and projects

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
The sails are off and packed away, mast comes down Friday and we will be hauled for the season (our club rules are all boats out by a set deadline in October, this year it is the 16th).

There were several things on our check list that this boat had, one in particular was the roomy aft cabin. This summer was a hot and sometimes humid one, the cabin temp was in the 90's most days when we were down there so I am sad to say we never stayed on the boat even once this summer. One of my winter projects is to try and improve the ventilation and cooling. Other than the "will not happen suggestions" like moving to a different port city, I am open to suggestions. We are working with a few limitations, the small opening ports in the head and aft cabin don't provide much airflow and must be closed when it rains because of the slope of the cabin sides. The single forward hatch is smallish, also not much airflow but I was planning on adding either a passive or solar vent to the hatch. On our boat that hatch is also the only natural light in the forward area of the cabin. I see on other 27-3's there are fixed portlights in the hull, ours is not equipped with those but I'm willing to give up some light in exchange for air movement. I could add a louver to one of the main hatchboards as well, that would give us air coming in if the forward hatch vent was set to exhaust. The companionway is narrow and steep so adding a home window AC unit there like some have done will not work due to size restrictions. I even looked at marine AC, some of the units are pretty small and might fit. The problem there is the 110v electric panel is not expandable to add a breaker for the AC. The panel would have to be replaced or another panel added. Not a show stopper but not ideal either. It would be great if whatever the setup ends up being would allow some airflow when it rains too.
Any thoughts? Suggestions (within reason)?

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
How about a solar vent in the companionway hatch slider? I believe those are designed to stay dry.

On our H23.5, we have 2 sets of drop boards: smoked plexi and wooden framed screens.

I recently purchased a medium sized boom tent to allow the companionway to be protected during rain... like the gusher we had yesterday in Mystic CT.

We are looking at possibly bidding on a 27-3 right now, so I'm avidly reading old posts on that model here. I think I've read most of yours! Clearly, beyond purchase price, it would involve quite a lot more in operating costs. Can't just float it on to a trailer and park it in backyard!

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Here's how I kept out the wet while allowing the companionway to stay open/screened. It's up to the gooseneck to keep the poptop canvas dry too. I guess a setup like this would help keep heat from baking the coachtop roof too.

image.jpeg

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Those are all good suggestions Kevin, thanks. The companionway slider could be the answer although it is slightly rounded so might be tough to mount and seal. I made a screen for the boat as one of last winter's projects, it has Velcro sewn on the edges and attachs to matching Velcro on the hatch frame.

As far as the 27-3, once we worked the bugs out we are really pleased with the boat. We have the deep keel version which supposedly is more stable when the winds pipes up. The RF main was a trial but has worked out well after everything was tuned and using some tips from this forum. Overall, there is a lot of room, it is nicely equipped and motors very well both forward and reverse. Sailing it is a little more "tippy" then we were used to after the Island Packet but we got used to that this summer.

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
If you intend to use solar vents for cooling I don't think you would be happy. There isn't enough volume there to be of much use in my opinion. They are great to reduce moisture inside the cabin while the boat isn't occupied, but in my opinion that's all they are really good for. (I've had 3 different types.)

Ken

Jul 11, 2016
Hunter 326 Oriental, NC
If you are considering an A/C unit but that's not your first choice and are looking only for aft cabin ventilation you could run a duct from the main cabin or from a dorade box. Then you can put in any fan 12/24v in the duct to blow air directly into the aft cabin from the main cabin or completely outside. I'm guessing you have room for the ducting and vents if you've considered an entire system. With some work you could probably get some good air flow to the aft cabin for under $50.00.

Of course I really mean $1,050.00 since it's a sailboat.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Do you have storage hatches in cockpit that open over or behind aft berth . I added computer fans cut holes thru bulkhead and added luvers put fans on reversing switches so could push or pull air thru to get air out lids added 3/4 inch taller rubber bumpers from hardware store

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
There is a hatch in the aft berth, it is under the starboard seat of the cockpit. I always keep that cracked, there is a vent position. Once again, the design of the hatch is great, unless it's raining. Then having it cracked in the vent position is all you get. As far as an actual storage area, there is a very small storage area under the port side cockpit seat, no rubber bumpers though. It seals tight because there is direct access to the area where the holding tank lives. Not sure that would be a good area to vent from.

I really appreciate everyone's input on this. We have never used a solar vent before so that is also a good tip.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
If you intend to use solar vents for cooling I don't think you would be happy. There isn't enough volume there to be of much use in my opinion. They are great to reduce moisture inside the cabin while the boat isn't occupied, but in my opinion that's all they are really good for. (I've had 3 different types.)

Ken
Ditto, we have two on our boat. They are great for moving a little air in and out in a locked up boat, but that's it.

May 6, 2010
1984 Oday 39 79 Milwaukee
I will offer a caveat on the Nicro day/night vents - I have had several and the last few have only lasted 2 - 3 years before the bearings in the motor become loud to the point that in the v-berth where we sleep, we end up shutting it off at night. Full failure has occurred between 2 - 4 years. At $145+ for the vents, this is disappointing and while some have modified other 12v motors to work in them, I have not been able to locate a direct replacement. The first Nicro day/night vent I bought 13 years ago cost under $100 and lasted several years until I broke it removing it to do some other work.

Scott

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
I was talking with another sailboat owner at our club and he told me he uses a home window unit in his companionway hatch and it has worked well all summer. I explained about our narrow hatch and he told me to search using the word "compact". Sure enough, there is a Kenmore (among others) that are considered compact with a width of only 16" which just happens to be the narrowest part of our hatch. I think this AC may be doable after all. It won't be pretty but will allow us to spend the nights on board.

Just an FYI

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
How about one of the stand alone AC units that you duct through a window. They are light and only use a 4" flex duct so can be plumbed through almost any porthole.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
Thanks Ned, I have also been looking at those as an option. The reviews I have read all seem to agree that they generate a lot of heat and although that is ducted out a window or port, the hose itself radiates heat back into the area being cooled. The second complaint is regarding the condensate. Some have a tray that needs to be emptied often and some use a mechanism to spray the condensate into the heated air being ducted out. The latter being the preferred method but does not work well for a long run. The displays always show these units sitting right next to a window, the best we could do would be about a 6' hose up and out the port in the head.

Feb 6, 2013
Hunter 31 Deale, MD
Sorry, Craig, I know this is not what you asked, but I installed central air on my H31 and it is the best money I've spent on this boat. It makes the boat not just bearable but very comfortable on the hottest of Summer days and nights. It's also a reverse cycle so it provides heat as long as the water is at least 40*F. You said the boat has been hauled, so you could install the seacock for it now and then work on the install at your leisure. Mine is a 16k BTU unit Webasto FCF. You might be ok with a 12000k BTU. With central air there's no lifting/carrying/storing like with a portable unit; you just turn it on and let it do its thing. Again, I realize this isn't what you asked, but it is worth considering.

Jun 3, 2010
Hunter 27-3 Erie
No reason to be sorry at all! Nothing is off the table at this point but the cost and logistics of installation are probably the biggest considerations. I absolutely agree that having a proper system installed would be the best option.

Dec 18, 2012
Hunter 37.5 Annapolis
I agree that AC is great, but you have to have shore power to use it, and one of the great pleasures of sailing is anchoring out.
On our last boat, a 1990 hunter 30g with a similar aft cabin, on hot nights we would rig up the wind scoop on the forward hatch, open the small port in the aft cabin, and close the companionway. That way the air coming in would blow through the aft cabin. It made 90 degree nights feel like 89 degrees:)
A fan was the best solution. I would be relatively comfortable as long as the air was moving. But I had problems keeping it going overnight without running down the battery.
Paul

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
I have air conditioning on my boat and plan to boost the air flow to the vee berth with a 3 inch diameter duct blower. It's a similar problem to yours. By using an in-line duct blower (bilge blower) you can get a pretty good volumn of air flow. They are build for marine enviroments, and ignition protected in the event you have a gasoline engine. The entire run does not have to be ducted. You can use any cabinetry or enclosed areas behind settee seat backs as a plenum for air to travel through.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
You need to add AC and no ventilation improvement is going to help and yes I use
my AC to cool down the boat and at night run fans for sleeping.
I do have friends that put window unit in Compainway opening,pain in the ass but it works and saves $$$$. but a pain getting in and out.
Nick

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
ideas, all of which we've installed: 12v programmable caframo fans in both cabins and in main settee area , add 'sun shades' running from boom area to lifelines to cover ports and v berth hatch and allow them to stay open even in rain, hang 12v fan off bimini support in cockpit , and green companion way and all hatches and ports..