Electrical Connector

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
I am looking for this connector. It is the 12v connector found on Standard Horizon radios but might also be used on other brand radios. It might also be used for trailers or other automotive wiring. I have searched high and low looking for this connector and cannot find it. I have found replacement cables with the male end (with the gasket) but the cost is just a little high.

So if anyone has run across this connect I sure would love a link or source. The only letters on the connector are OTP which I find out it is a designation for Thermal Coupling. I was hoping it was the model of the connector. Although I did do a search on OTP and it showed similar connectors but not the same.

Connector.jpg

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Stupid question. What's so special about that connector? Why not replace it with any other locking/unlocking connector? It's just 2 wires.

Feb 17, 2006
Not a stupid question at all. The original connector is always the best to have. If I change out the connector then there is the possibility that the new owner might not be able to find a match. That happens. With my HF SSB equipment, I have spare connectors in case there is an issue with the physical connection. This is why I like to keep spare connector around, this one included. Might seem silly but just keeps things in order for me.

If I were to cut off the end at the radio, the cable will start to get too short. The only other solution is to open the radio and replace the cable with a new one that has a different connector. So, that is why I am looking for the OEM connector.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do you need the quick release??

If not I would cut it off and use a quality splice and proofing if you need more length. For a simple 12v 2-wire connector it going to be at least as reliable (if not more) if done well.

Feb 17, 2006
I looked at the Tamiya and it is not the same. Same with the Deutsch. This connector has a T guide in the connector itself for lining up the pins.

Jackdaw, that is what I don't want to do. My preference is to use OEM connectors. I am sure this is a Chinese made connector. I looks like a Molex but is not. Might have to go back to the Molex catalog and look at each one.

Thanks for the hints and links so far.

Feb 17, 2006
Not yet Don. Still going through Molex. I will check them. Thanks.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
How soon do you need the connector, Brian?
When we get over these damned headcolds, I think I have one down in MX you can have, practically for free.

Feb 17, 2006
JSG, don't have a need right now. Just trying to get my stock up to date.

Feb 17, 2006
Yeah, I looked about both of those. I really would like to keep the OEM but if I have to change it out, then I have a lot to choose from. LOL

Dec 28, 2010
Catalina 380 san pedro
Up this way we have a local supply house called Torrance Electronics...they have EVERYTHING...try a local search for electronic supplies

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
re: the comment above : 'Stupid question. What's so special about that connector? Why not replace it with any other locking/unlocking connector? It's just 2 wires.'--
the above is not a very helpful or kind observation. it is not a stupid question , as anyone who has worked in marine 12v electric systems can tell you. 'what's special ' is that that connector has the positive and negative wires aligned within the locking connector body, and the connector aligned so it only inserts into the radio one correct way. that connector is designed so that it is impossible to put the red + positive 12v supply male wire into the black - negative female connector on the radio body. that would likely destroy the electronics on the receiving end. in my ME 101 Marine Elctrics US Power Squadron course, it's always great fun to have the students (and myself) tell the stories of how they tried to wire up some 12v electrics themselves and ruined the component.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
In my defense, I was not suggesting any connector as a replacement but a similar one. Look at how many have been suggested. The O/P wants to keep the original configuration and realizes he could replace it with a variety of similar but not identical plugs.

Feb 17, 2006
So that the record shows, I did not take Sailm8 statement as anything but a question of why not just replace the connector. So he is good and it was a legitimate question. I am just so anal retentive as to want to keep things as original as possible. So like I said, Sailm8 is good.

The Weatherpack connectors seem to be like the Chinese made connectors available on eBay. So they are a possibility if I change out connectors. Thanks.

salishmermaid, those are the replacement cables and the cheapest ones around. Thanks for those links. That may be the only OEM solution. I much prefer to have just the connectors, but...

I do appreciate every ones help in looking for the OEM connector. I can't believe that Standard Horizon has purchased all the connectors and there are none on the open market. Unless of course they are made by SH. Maybe I should look for Vertex connectors. Hmmm...

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
In my defense, I was not suggesting any connector as a replacement but a similar one. Look at how many have been suggested. The O/P wants to keep the original configuration and realizes he could replace it with a variety of similar but not identical plugs.
I cut off the original one my Standard Horizon and would give it to you but don't know where it is :(. I cut it off and bought a couple sets at an auto parts house since I move the radio back and forth between the Man and the Endeavour.

I agree with the others just switch to a more common one that would be easier to replace in the future as it would be easier to find vs. what you now have evidently. You could even buy two and put the second set in a zip-lock bag and zip-tie it to the existing line out of the way,

Sumner
================================================================
1300 miles to The Bahamas and Back in the Mac...
Endeavour 37 Mods...

MacGregor 26-S Mods...http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/endeavour-main/endeavour-index.html
Mac Trips to Utah, Idaho, Wyoming, Canada, Florida, Bahamas