Electric panel circuit breaker

Jan 12, 2015
beneteau oceanis 390 herzelia
Hi,
In my Oceanis 390's 12v electric panel I have one glass circuit breaker.
The specs of the current one are 250V 5A but I'm pretty sure its not original.
Any ideas what the specs should be?
Thanks
yoran

Jan 12, 2015
There is only one circuit breaker like this on the panel. the panel supports all the 12v devices of the boat

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The panel naturally supports all of the 12vdc power, but each CB on the panel protects a different DC circuit. You need to know what circuit it is to figure the potential load. Is it lights? A Pump? Fans? Everything has a certain amp draw. Without knowing what circuit it is, we'd only be guessing. There should be a label next to it.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I'm trying to understand. Is this one of the individual circuit breakers in the panel?
If that is the case, then like everyone else has asked. what is onthat circuit. If its only a 5 amp circuit, its probably set up to protect sometthing that s not desisgne to draw much power such as a radio on other electronic device. If the breaker is tripping, then either a single device is faulty or there are too many "things" on that circuit. The breaker itself could possibly be faulty as well and would need to be replaced, and replacements are easily obtained. Just don't install a higher capacity breaker to prevent tripping due to a high current load.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
OP is saying it is "glass", so I'd think he has a FUSE, not a BREAKER. Also, almost sounds like this fuse feeds ALL circuits? Not likely, though. Nomenclature knowledge is important.

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Yoran, what the others are saying is they need to know what device that fuse is feeding. I am going to take a guess it is the automatic bilge pump and it bypasses the main DC breaker.

Try this - get the bilge pump running and pull out the fuse - see if the pump stops - report back.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
You guys are probably right. It's a "glass" fuse and it most likely constantly powers the pump thru the bilge switch. We're guessing of course without better intel.

Jan 12, 2015
Hi,
Thanks for the many replies.
I attached a picture of the panel.
I know understand that there is a difference between a fuse and a circuit breaker.
The glass fuse is located on the side of the panel (after you pull it). There is only one like that.
I'll get to the boat this weekend and take a picture + try the tips given above and try to figure out if its for a specific device (I think not) of for the entire panel.
thx
Yoram

Attachments

Jan 12, 2015
Hi again,
I attached 3 pics of the panel and the fuse in the panel.
The panel has three columns:
Navigation - all the exterior lights and the auto pilot
Comfort - interior lights, bilge pump, fridge, water pumps, shower pumps
Electronic - VHF, log, radar, GPS
When the fuse is pulled out only the Electronic devices work (VHF, log, radar, GPS).
What kind of fuse should I buy?
Thanks in advance
Yoram

Attachments

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
There is no way that your nav lights, auto-pilot, pumps and interior lighting can all be powered through a 5Amp fuse, so it must be a fuse specific to the "electronic panel" controller, not the actual device power supply. That said, I have never seen a panel like that, must be European spec.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
That fuse probably controls the panel - not the individual circuits in the boat. To find out the size - just pop it out - it will be stamped into the top or bottom silver bands. You also need the letters that specify how fast the fuse blows.

Jan 12, 2015
It doesn't make sense to me. If the fuse controls the panel than how come parts of it work when the fuse is out?
The current fuse is specified as 250V 5A but I'm pretty sure its not the original....
Still not sure which fuse to buy. Is the current one good enough?
yoram

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
You need to get some documentation for that panel and the wiring. Guessing is not the way to go.