Edson steering adjustment H260

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
I had no issued locating the threaded cable ends on the rudder shaft bracket to adjust tension, but the issue is that there are no more threads to take up slack. Cable has stretched beyond adjustment. Other calling edson for a new one, anybody have any other ideas? Thought about making a small loop on each "half" of the cable using cable clamps. Literally just wrap the cable around the clamp once and tighten down to take up an inch or so.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Do you have visibility to the top of the steering quadrant and if so take a photo of it and also the other end under the rear locker seat or where it attaches so I can refresh myself. Not sure if the adjustment will be in the binnacle or steering quadrant to correct that.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
If it is stretched that much then a replacement is overdue. But first make sure everything else is ok, especially that the idler pulley has not moved. There is not that much tension on it that it should stretch that much. Also most cables are attached to the eye bolts by adjustable saddle clamps that allows for easy cable shorting. Edson has a series of good you tube videos.

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
When Dave asks for pictures, that has a reason to be able to give better advice and a more educated discussion. Fortunate I have made some pictures as worked on the steering system and hope they will help you.
The picture show all the way of the cables, from the chain connection of the steering to the rudder post. I made an inspection hole to serve the pulleys under the pedestal. Actually I do not think the cables have stretched that much as you describe, my suspicious is that the mounts of the pulleys in the gasoline locker have moved.

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Just to clarify, please... the nut in the red circle on the rudder shaft... are you saying you can not back it off without the nut coming off the cable, or saying to can not go righty-tighty any farther ONTO the cable(in other words, the nut is bottoming out on the unthreaded cable.)?

I hope everyone with a 260 will save Guy's excellent pictures.

Jul 18, 2015
Cannot go righty tighty no more. I checked the pulleys in the fuel locker (diesel on mine) and they are secure. I think I am going to make an underside inspection/service port too. I was a little let down when I removed the panel and there was nothing there but epoxied wood. Thought I saw instructions for that on here a while back.

Jan 18, 2014
Hunter 260 Palm Coast, FL
bamabaxter,
I would not give up so quickly on the pulleys, in my case the hols for the mounting screws were a little to large drilled and the pulleys had moved. I losend the screws, moved the pulleys back and tightened again. Just check to make sure. Here is a thread, where I describe how the inspection port is made. Also where you get a tool to cut the hole with ease. Go through the replys.
Hart
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/pedestal-guard-installation.159592/#post-1096465

Jul 18, 2015
bamabaxter,
I would not give up so quickly on the pulleys, in my case the hols for the mounting screws were a little to large drilled and the pulleys had moved. I losend the screws, moved the pulleys back and tightened again. Just check to make sure. Here is a thread, where I describe how the inspection port is made. Also where you get a tool to cut the hole with ease. Go through the replys.
Hart
http://forums.sailboatowners.com/index.php?threads/pedestal-guard-installation.159592/#post-1096465
Thank you

Jul 18, 2015
When Dave asks for pictures, that has a reason to be able to give better advice and a more educated discussion. Fortunate I have made some pictures as worked on the steering system and hope they will help you.
The picture show all the way of the cables, from the chain connection of the steering to the rudder post. I made an inspection hole to serve the pulleys under the pedestal. Actually I do not think the cables have stretched that much as you describe, my suspicious is that the mounts of the pulleys in the gasoline locker have moved.
So I think I have figured out the issue even though I am 4 hours from my boat. My pulleys in the tank locker are not mounted to the walls of the enclosure like yours in the picture. Mine are mounted to a wood frame inside of the locker, which I have yet to figure out why the frame is in there to begin with. Does it have anything to do with the diesel tank for the Yanmar @Crazy Dave Condon ? Anyway, if my pulleys were moved inward about an 3/4", looks like they are mounted on 1x4's, then that would explain the slack that I have in the cables. Now I won't be able to sleep at all until Saturday when I get back and verify it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Bamabaxter
You have adjustment at both ends. Looking at Hart's photos first #5445, the brass/bronze whatever fork connector is adjustable which you have to loosen the nut on the bottom of it to adjust that fork. On #5432where the red circle is, look under that bracket connected to the rudder post and you will see it is a longer threaded rod for adjustment.
You mentioned there is a wood frame. Not sure what you are talking about but a photo is needed. Looking at photo #5342 where the fuel locker pulleys are, they are attached to a in a sense raised area from the locker wall. That is wood encapsulated by fiberglass painted with the same white gel coat. I am not sure what you have in that locker and if memory serves me, the pulleys are high enough so that the cables are above the diesel tank for your inboard diesel. I still believe you have adjustment. Check it out and let me know. Please forward a picture of the wood mount you mentioned in your fuel locker.
The wheel steering is the same set up as in the 260 and 270. Not sure about your wood frame though.