Dried lake scum cleanup

May 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
I pulled my boat out of a lake after being there all summer and made the mistake of not powerwashing it immediately. Now it is dried on to the hull and is a black and veiny coating. Any recommendations for a product that won't damage the gel coat? Thanks!

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
can you get it back to the power washer and rewet it? Perhaps tow to a car wash and power wash? On the dried film, not chunks, we routinely used Lysol toilet bowl cleaner - the gel seems to run less. Found it's best Applied to a dry surface (assume wet surface dilutes the product too much), wait, scrub off and rinse. Wear rubber gloves. Recommend rinsing off the bottom painted area as soon as it runs down there as it tends to streak the bottom paint - have no idea how it actually affects the bottom paint, if any.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
For organic stains such as algae.... an acid based toilet cleaner will work quite nicely. I purchase the generic quart bottle at Smart & Final... pretty inexpensive. Wet a long handled pot scrubbing brush in a bucket of water and squirt a little cleaner right on the brush... slosh it on and let the cleaner do it's work... If you have to scrub violently, the cleaner is too diluted... it should take the algae right off. Keep the fresh water hose in your other hand and rinse as you go along.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Chris;
Is the bottom or hull have any epoxy barrier coatings or anti fouling paint or a combination of both? This is the first question that needs to be asked and then I will respond as to what I would do as a retired Hunter small boat dealer who submitted the original plans of the 23.5 to Hunter

May 28, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Lake Nockamixon
I'm sorry this question is regarding my 1969 GP14 that I pulled out of the lake. I bought a Hunter 23.5 over the summer, however it in drydock being worked on until next spring. The GP14 had a gelcoat finish on the entire hull.

Considering your credentials I do have a Hunter question. I'd like to ask if it is necessary to have bottom painted if you are keeping it in freshwater for the season? Looks like it could use a painting, but is it necessary?

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
I keep my boat on Muskegon Lake, connected to Lake Michigan. All fresh water, and EVERYONE here paints their bottoms. Otherwise algae growth can be really bad. And, for the last couple decades, we also have Zebra Mussels to contend with. In freshwater, Interlux VC17 is the most popular bottom paint.

I would check with others on the lake where you're going to keep you boat and see what they do.

Aug 11, 2011
O'day 30 313 Georgetown MD
Use ON&Off on the bottom to get it clean. Apply diluted with a long handled scrub brush, let sit for five minutes, then power wash off. Make sure you wear gloves and safety googles. That stuff hurts if you get it on scratches and cuts.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If keeping your boat in a lake for the summer, suggest using a bottom paint that works in your area. Make sure you do not use a paint that looses it affectivness after 60 days. There are a couple of soft paints designed where you can paint, pull the boat our for the season and relaunch without having to repaint the following year. Some lakes in PA now have Zebra muscles and they are tenancious in holding to the hull which is why I suggest a bottom paint

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we are in freshwater. have used inter lux micron ablative paint for 35 years. we get 3 to 4 seasons out of it with touchups every year or 2. you can't put vc 17 on over other paint, all old paint needs to be scraped and sandblasted off. and you have to do vc 17 every year. a good power wash job each haul out and you will be good to go. we spry a cleaner like 4o9 onto the bottom waterline, and let it set for 10 minutes and rub it in before power washing. almost every thing comes off .

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
MitchM;

As a former dealer further south, never used VC 17 so I rely on your experience. Thank you for that information particularly you are in PA and the original poster is in PA as well.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
For organic stains such as algae.... an acid based toilet cleaner will work quite nicely.
This. Don't get robbed at the boat store!

I use "The Works", a bargain brand toilet cleaner. I think it costs $2.50 a quart, and actually works much better than On & Off in my experience.