Downwind Racing Through Tornados

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Crewed during the Grand Haven Commodore's Cup: 2nd place finish. It was a fun downwind ride, even with the rain. We were racing in 15-20kts, surfing 6ft waves, sometimes holding 10-11kts for minutes, and a max speed of 13.8kts. We blew the kite, turned up into the channel and sailed the channel sorting some gear. Vivienne turned the corner into Muskegon Lake when the squall hit with the mainsail still up. We sailed through 35kts wind and almost ran out of lake when it finally subsided. That is when we heard the alerts coming through the radio of tornado warnings in several locations around us. Fortunately all boats made it home safely. That was an exciting, wet and wild race.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Nice result! Sounds like a fun day; typical great lakes sailing. ;^) I would not be surprised if you were becalmed for part of the race.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
We had an EF0 touch down about 1/2 mile from here. 90 plus knots. We didn't go to Muskegon because of the forecast. I don't know which place I would rather have been.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
Muskegon, it sounds like.....we had a short squall, but nothing like what you guys got. Hope everyone faired well. News reports were "no injuries". Try it all again this weekend...... :O)