Delorme inReach SE

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
We are going down to the BVI's to get our boat and bring it to Florida in February and we thought it would be nice to be able to let family and friends track where we are. Has anyone used the Delorme inReach SE? Will it pick up the satellites from inside the boat or will I need to strap it to the topside of the boat? With each plan you get a certain number of text messages. Does that mean incoming/outgoing or just outgoing in that total?

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
CruisersForum had a thread on this a while back: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f13/tracking-devices-177817-2.html. I copied and pasted a paragraph from post #17:

"I opted for inReach SE as the cost to purchase was less and the usage costs were less for my purposes. I keep the unit mounted below deck in an area that allows transmission through solid fiberglass to the Iridium satellites. I could not get the unit to transmit through a cored deck, so finding a location that worked took a bit of fiddling and experimentation."

WayneH

Jan 22, 2008
Tartan 37 287 Pensacola, FL
I carry my InReach inside the boat on the nav station. It does not have any problem picking up satellites. I use the monthly Recreation Plan. Yes, you have to pay for in and out messages. BUT!!! If you use a "premade" text message that you've set up beforehand, it does not count to your total.

I have not hit my limit on any of my trips. My family and friends can always track my progress via the website. Plus you can filter your tracking so that they only see your current trip.

Jul 19, 2015
Beneteau 343 BVI
heitage and WayneH thanks for your quick responses to my questions. I think we will go with the freedom Recreation Plan.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I use our SE mounting in a powered cradle on the transom. The deck of the First 36.7 is cored and the unit does not work inside. Happily, the BT connection to our Nav-mounted ipad is very reliable, and is the best way to read and compose messages anyway, as well as receive weather if you use the Inreach weather service.

Jul 20, 2005
Whitby 55 Kemah, Tx
I keep mine attached to the console in the cockpit but with Jack...use my tablet with EarthMate to connect and send and read messages. It is much better than Spot. More reliable and more functionality for about the same price. Just make sure you keep the software up to date. They have been known to stop working if the software version gets too old.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
My Inreach works fine below sitting on the chart table plugged in to charge. It's on all the time. Deck is very thick - foam cored fiberglass.

If you run out of your credits you just get billed a little extra (text message $0.10). It won't add up to the cost of a rum punch in a month.

The new Inreach weather is also very good. $1 for a 5 day forecast for any lat/lon. Includes wind and wave. On demand. Only get one when you want it.

The Inreach iphone/android app is also excellent. I always connect the Iphone instead of trying to use the Inreach's little buttons and screen.

Be sure to turn on the setting for it to "beep until read" if a message comes in. That way, you'll know someone's trying to contact you.

CarlN

Jan 4, 2009
Ketch 55 Bristol, RI
If I ever have to activate my EPIRB, I plan to simultaneously activate the SOS on the InReach. The Inreach emergency center will then contact the CG/SAR which will allow them to more quickly confirm my EPIRB signal instead of making telephone calls to rule out a false alarm.

And the two-way nature of the Inreach allows the CG/SAR to communicate directly with me about rescue plans.

The Inreach web account page also has a comment field of unlimited length where you can fill in information that's available to them should you ever activate SOS. You can edit it anytime. Before leaving on a voyage I enter information about my boat, liferaft, crew names and ages, planned route and schedule.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
I you are going to have a smartphone (Android or iOS), consider getting an SE; if not Explorer is a better option. As everyone else mentioned, reading the messages, and even more composing them on the little keyboard is a pain. Also consider creating pre-canned messages that you can select. You don't want to spend time on composing it, when you really need to communicate quickly.
If i were you, I would setup someone on shore (family, close friend) who would be the main coordinator in case of emergency. I have no experience with Delorme Emergency Centre, but I know from personal experience that one can reasonably easily coordinate (or at least trigger) a search and rescue operation from home, even if it is at the other end of the globe, if one has access to InReach messaging. And that person has an advantage - he can communicate with any S/R operations, regardless of the country (though some language skills would be handy).
That central contact can also provide tracking information to you , if needed (e.g. weather forecast). You don't need much text to pass along the wind speed and direction for the next few periods.

Marek