Checking out a H260 fixed keel tomorrow

Jul 18, 2015
Hunter 340 Rogersville, AL
After selling my 240, I want to upsize for more space. My crew consists of me, wife and daughter (toddler). I am going to check out a 260/270 (fixed keel) that looks to be in decent shape, but definitely needs some cleanup. I am just a little worried about something I noticed in the pics. In my 240, the interior bulkheads were discolored in a few areas when I bought it used. I didn't worry about it since it was dry inside. I got some pictures of this boat and there are the same discoloration, only in this instance, it is in specific areas which has me worried. It looks like maybe water is getting through mast support bar bases. See attached photo. I should know more tomorrow when I see it in person. Anyway, any 260 owners have any recommendations of what else I should check for. I plan to get a survey just to be safe.
interior.jpg

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I didn't know the H260 was a fixed keel. I thought they were all water ballast. I think I'm reading this wrong. The 270 has a wing keel. The subject heading is wrong.

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2015
I didn't know the H260 was a fixed keel. I thought they were all water ballast. I think I'm reading this wrong. The 270 has a wing keel. The subject heading is wrong.
Not disagreeing with you, and actually pmed Dave to find out. The boat has the 260 decal on the side although the fixed keels were called a 270. I don't know if it was a transition thing with the model name or what. It seems like the decal changed to "270" on the side of the boats in 2000. This is a 1999.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I wonder if the water is getting in through the hull/deck joint.... or if it might just be some really significant condensation issues.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
The wing keel version which was introduced by me was designated the 270 while the water ballast was designated the 260. There are a few differences to the interior not to mention the wing keel made of lead but same hull and deck. If a water leak, the hull to deck joint is lower and we are dealing with a topside leak. The panels screwed in I would first remove and see if there are any signs of leaks. I believe these are access panels to the stanchions. The others to rebed would be the struts holding the mast from going sideways when lowering or raising. There are other blocks in that same area but taken them off would be easy to clean off the old caulk and reseal. There is no wood between the deck and ceiling liner but there are areas of marine putty holding the ceiling in place which would be the only concern if it was wet for a long time but doubt that. I would use that to my advantage if this is a sign of leakeage when negotiating but would rebed everything. Remember that most of the blocks and so forth the screws are drilled and tapped into aluminum blocks encapsulated into the fiberglass.

If there are leaks on any boats topsides, I have always said the best way to find them is to close up everything, tape a large piece of plastic over the companionway, insert an air blower into the plastic with taping the plastic down, have a second person brushing everything topsides with soapy water looking for air bubbles which would indicate leaks.

I would not let this be a big factor if you are willing to take the time to rebed which is about time to do that anyway. I am curious if this is an inboard diesel or outboard motor.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Kermit on new vehicle.gif Spoke with Bamabaxter on his way to see the boat again. He called back to let me know and was grateful for myy call. Hey, I am only here to help, so no thanks necessary. Now for the shocker. Bamabaxter advised it was a very clean boat and he offered $9,500 and it was accepted. the owner wanted to get rid of the boat. I told him job well done and he has my number for future reference.
My policy is for me to give out my contact info with those keeping mine but not to divulge. I do not keep any information except for a few who want me to. That includes the little poor green frog, you know who riding on a cycle

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
CDC: Didn't realize until this thread you designed for Hunter. Really intriguing about the aluminum plates and construction to mitigate saturation. Nicely done! You always hear about Hunter "garbage" but that is a really nice detail.

Congrats to Baxter. I have friends with a 260WB.

Jul 18, 2015
Thank you. Dave was a big help. Very little is available about the 270, especially one with inboard Yanmar. I feel like I found a unicorn. She needs some tlc, but nothing that some elbow grease can't handle. Just need to find a trailer next. Anybody gotta lead?

Jan 19, 2010
.... Just need to find a trailer next. Anybody gotta lead?
I have bought fixed up and then flipped 6 sailboats so far and I'm working on a Rhodes 22 at the moment. The used trailer market is inverted. If you find a decent used trailer (empty) it will probably run between $1500 and $2000. But if you find a badly neglected POS boat sitting on a decent trailer, you can scoop them both up for a few hundred dollars, then sell the POS for $100 or such.

I've done it.... The trailer in the pic below I eventually fitted to my Rhodes 22. I found it with a SeaHawk 20 sitting on it that had a blown inboard $400. Stripped the decent hardware off of the SeaHawk and sold the hull for $100. So I got the trailer and five large cleats, a compass and a O.B. motor mount for $300.

Shop craigs list for a crappy boat sitting in someones back yard, full of water mold and grime... but sitting on a decent trailer ... then spend $500 on to get it fit and the breaks working. Pressure wash the crappy boat, and offer it for sale as a project boat or just give it away or chop it up and take it to a land fill.

trailer3.jpg
trailer4.jpg

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
It looks like there are lots of water stains just below the fiberglass liner on both port and starboard sides. I'm not familiar with the Hunter 260/270. Is that area covered in a carpet like material? Could there be leaks causing mold mold/mildew to those areas? Is appears that if water has made it's way into the liner, the area below it would probably also get wet as well. You might want to investigate that too.

Jul 18, 2015
@rgranger I will check out the trailer. I have been doing exactly what you said by looking for crappy boat and trailer combo.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Unicorn indeed! While rare in that boat, you will simply love the diesel. Good luck getting a trailer sorted out. Boats with fixed keels have engineered solutions to get the balance and weight distribution right. Not impossible to do in a recycle but watch your numbers. I like this one, with nice keel guides for retrieval. Also protects the prop shaft, very important. Have fun!

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Apex, I merely suggested and they took my suggestions. I do not take credit. We dealers needed boats that would sell and easily trailered or useful to make sailing easier.. Called in a sense marketing.

Jackdaw and RGranger, thank you for supplying those photos.

Bamabaxter;
1. Remember the boat weighs 5000 with the keel on a keel tray to support the weight of the boat.
2. It appears that the dual axles can be slid on the frame which is good to distribute the weight equally.
3. Most states do not allow over a 6 ft. overhang from the back of the trailer.
4. Bunk board supports 3 minimum but four fantastic. You could go with three screw jacks.
5. Keel guide good but not to low or the wings will rest on top. Seen that with bent wings. Lead bendable but not much.
6. Figure the weight of the boat, gear and trailer with a 10% margin for safety in gross vehicle weight for safety
to prevent swaying even with a dual axle.
7. Make sure keel tray are resting on cross braces with a minimum of 2 inch clearance when loaded. Never bolt to
or weld to an axle to include fixed, drop axle or torsion bars.
8. Brakes required but you will have to check with your state if required on both axles. If transporting thru other states,
your trailer will be recognized as long as you are pulling with your vehicle. Strongly suggest brakes on both axles.
9. trailer extension if planning to trailer launch.
10. This boat has the mast raise system but you will need to measure the back end of the boat to make sure you are not
over 13 ft. 6 inches on the back end as the mast is tilted up. You can lower that if you simply take a treated 4 X 4
section putting it over the bow pulpit drawing marks where it sits on the pulpit and remove an inch. That way the
mast step end of the mast is raised up lowering the back end. You will have to check.
11. Make sure the tires/hubs are rated total weight carrying a minimum of 7000 lbs. and if not you will have to buy new
larger hubs and tires but check the clearance of the fenders.
12. On that trailer the winch stand with bow roller is too short. Replace with a
taller one

One thing you need to also remember. the center of gravity is much higher and when modifying a trailer and towing, much different from towing a 240 which had a lower center of gravity. Suggest that you do not speed and take your time getting there.

The photo supplied by Jackdaw was probably made by Magic Tilt. Road King had made some for me but my friend, Ron Frisosky, who designed the sailboat trailers for Road King helped me to design one at the factory with me there but Road King no longer has the design. Magic Tilt copied it. Ron is deceased.
I hope the above helps you. Feel free to call if you want any other help. You have my phone number

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
@Crazy Dave Condon
So I'm curious about something. If this 270 has a fixed keel and the ballast is in the keel. And it used the same hull mold as the 260, then is there an extra deep bilge in the 270 that used to be the ballast tanks for the 260? Or is there extra storage below the cabin sole?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
@Crazy Dave Condon
So I'm curious about something. If this 270 has a fixed keel and the ballast is in the keel. And it used the same hull mold as the 260, then is there an extra deep bilge in the 270 that used to be the ballast tanks for the 260? Or is there extra storage below the cabin sole?
Just an educated guess, but I'd assume that it uses the same hull but a different liner, one with a grid (bonded to the hull) that helps distribute the much more centralized load of the fixed keel.