Check out Kootenay Lake. B.C.

Oct 8, 2008
MacGregor/Venture 25 Winthrop Harbor, IL Drummond Island,MI
Never sailed up there, but have been there many times.........Nelson, Castlegar,etc.........beautiful!

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
Never sailed up there, but have been there many times.........Nelson, Castlegar,etc.........beautiful!
We had a great time there with the MacGregor and like you said really beautiful.

I think that we...

....were anchored on the same anchorage that was shown in Pirate's second picture. This was taken from the opposite side of the lake.

In the morning while I sat in the cockpit I took a picture of the dead fish in the water above for some reason and a minute latter ....

....the bald eagle above swooped down and picked it off the top of the water.

One thing about the lake though is that storms can come up fast. When we got there we only had about 16 days experience sailing so stayed in the long arm of the lake and just went down to the huge north/south main part of the lake once. Not sure if we will make it back there but it sure would be nice if we did.

Our trip report is here....

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/Macgregor Trips-2-Priest/Priest-Kootenay-index.html

... and I'd recommend sailing there to anyone if you get the chance,

Sum

[FONT=Arial, sans-serif]============================[/FONT]

Our Endeavour 37

Our MacGregor 26-S Pages

Our Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
Indeed a beautiful lake! I went for a 5 day trip last summer and went to the Jazz festival in Kaslo. Tied off in the bay, watched and listened to awesome music, ate and had a couple pops. Really enjoyed it. Sailed the whole lake and caught a couple trout for some shore lunch. Had to do a little more motoring than expected as the winds were very sporadic. Stayed in the main lake all but the last night as we took Sum's advice and kept the trailer and truck at the same campground as he did. Ferry ride was pleasing and not very time consuming for a busy long weekend. We had a great time and really enjoyed the Lake, the people we met and the scenery. We'll definitely be back.

Attachments

Oct 10, 2010
Hunter H260 Gull Lake
Sumner, I read your account several times prior to making the trip and that trip up the west side into Nelson looks very harrowing. The east side of the lake and the ferry ride I highly recommend. It's a little hilly and snakes along the shore but very manageable. It is a very popular for motorcycle's. I will be heading back as well, probably in the summer of 2014.

Dec 29, 2011
Catalina 27 Kootenay Lake
Ahoy. .
Awesome glad to see you made it to my sailing paradise. ...Kaslo was good..sorry we didn't run into you..on the lake. .
www.discovernelson.com or ca
Lots of area info..and i can help you w any sailing stuff if ya like. w you come back...
Happy sailing! !

Macboy

Aug 8, 2014
Macgregor 26S Sherwood Park, Alberta
Well that settles it then. Resurrecting an old post to thank you all for the direction for next summers' first big family sail trip. We've got a good friend in Nelson that's been begging us to come visit - looks like we'll bring the Mac along!