catalina 270 bilge

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
hello, I just bought a 1994 Cat 270 2 days ago. I noticed there is a bilge in the cabin in the space where the keel is bolted in the center of the cabin deck. Actually there is a bilge pump there and also another bilge line from another pump mounted on the port side in another area in the cockpit where the water heater is. my question is I do not believe either one is an automatic bilge with a float. is that OK??????
thank you.
tom

Oct 9, 2008
Bristol 29.9 Dana Point
The one in the cockpit is manual. There should be a loose handle somewhere. Handle goes into pump from the outside.
The one in the bilge might be auto sensing. Post a picture.

Jun 8, 2004
Catalina 320 Dana Point
I HAD a '94 270 and it had an automatic electric bilge pump, I seem to remember the switch on the panel only had 2 positions, ON and AUTO. I used to know it was time to tighten the packing if the pump kicked in more than once every couple days.
The manual pump is a Whale Gusher and is the large diameter hose in the bilge.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 31_83-87 ASC GA
There should be a float switch for the automatic pump in the bilge , The pump is located in the port side storage compartment in the rear birth.

Jul 6, 2013
Catalina 30TR, Atomic 4 2480 Milwaukee
Tom.P - if your switch has an AUTO position, it was intended to have a float switch.
If you can't find the float, I strongly recommend that you add one. Stuff happens when water is involved. The packing gland is just one example.