Can I convert a water tank to a fuel tank?

Feb 3, 2013
Hunter H410 San Diego
We have 3 50 gal water tanks and 1 50 gal fuel tank. Getting ready to bash north from Cabo to San Diego so having another 50 gal of fuel would be great.

Our 2002 410 has the fuel tank right next to the aft water tank. The water tank is made by Dura-Cast products and that's about all I can read on the label. The fuel tank is made by NCA molded products. I realize once I convert to fuel I can't go back but plumbing this would be pretty straight up and double my range. Has anyone done this already? Does anyone know if the duracast tank can be used for diesel fuel?

Thanks;)

Jun 10, 2012
Hunter 23.5 Indian Lake
Dura-Cast is headquartered in Wales Florida, I would reach out to them and see what they say. I glanced through their website and they make tanks rated for fuels but that doesn't mean the one you have is the correct resin to hold up to diesel fuel.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
There are two types of polyethylene--linear and cross linked. Rotomolded water and waste tanks are linear PE, which cannot be used for fuel tanks because petroleum permeates it..the tank would literally melt. So rotomolded PE fuel tanks must be made of cross linked PE. They must also be made to strict USCG standards and be USCG certified.

So while it's possible your water tank is cross linked PE, it's highly unlikely because of the increased cost and strict USCG requirements. So I'm 99% certain that the answer to your question--can I convert a water tank to a fuel tank?--is no.

Moeller Marine http://moellermarine.com/ is one of the few companies who make marine fuel tanks. They start on page 10 in their catalog.

Or, unless you foresee an ongoing need for additional fuel, you might consider carrying 5 10 gal jerry cans of fuel instead.

Feb 3, 2013
Hunter H410 San Diego
Thanks for the detailed info. I figured it wouldn't be that easy;). I'll call duracast and verify what the tank is. I can always fall back on my jerry cans just thought it would be cool to have the deck clear for bashing north;). I've heard ATL fuel Bladders are another good answer so I'll check them too.