Call From Marina in the Middle of the Night

May 5, 2012
Beneteau 311 Milwaukee - McKinley Marina
A security guard at the marina called me last night and left a message (I didn't know they had security, but glad they do). He said they were doing their rounds and noticed the engine was running on my boat and it sounded "very rough". Of course I am asleep at home at 1am so I did not receive the message until this morning. I grabbed my keys and drove out the dock to check on the boat. All along I'm thinking the worst. Why was the engine running? Did I leave it running when I left the dock 5 days ago? Did it somehow start up again after I shut it down? I reasoned that since it is a diesel, it can run indefinitely without power or the key!! I arrive at the marina and while walking down the dock, I smell something burning. I'm convinced that I've ruined my boat. My wife isn't going to think much of my mechanic skills now. As I walk up to the boat, it looks in tact, clean, just how I left it. I can hear a mechanical rhythmic humming coming from the boat. And I realize it is not my engine, it is the topping lift line resonating in the wind.

I very much appreciate the call from the marina because it could have been much worse. But no disaster here today, just a noisy sailboat.

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
I can hear a mechanical rhythmic humming coming from the boat. And I realize it is not my engine, it is the topping lift line resonating in the wind.
You need something like this every so often. No matter how bad everything else in life is, after something like this you feel like you've won the lottery.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Similar situation here, but instead an e-mail message alerting us to the need to check our boat in preparation for the arriving blow last week. Apparently another boat got loose and did some unknown damage from the blow the day before. Glad they sent out the alert.

Drove to the boat, place another fender, cinched the dock lines, but everything seemed okay. Of course the storm veered to the north towards Ralph's area missing us, so dodged that bullet. However, no lottery winnings here.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 49 Mystic CT
I hate those unexpected calls from the marina. Just looking at my cell and it says the marina name, I tense up and the involuntary " oh S--t " is muttered.

kmart

Jan 1, 2012
Pearson 10M Fall River, MA
Yup... I got a call like that once.
Was in a meeting at work. Cell rang...but I let it go to voice mail..
Few hours later I get around to checking voice mail...

This is the coast guard. ..you need to contact us IMMEDIATELY. Your boat was struck and damaged by a coast Guard vessel. End of message.

I feared my boat was at the bottom. Rushed to marina in a total panic. Boat looks fine. Apearently an augsiluary boat had some docking trouble and glanced my stern. Only damage was a minor scratch.
Yes...I thought I won the lottery :)

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The remote possibility of an engine starting by itself brings one issue to mind, do you leave the fuel shutoff out when you leave the boat or do you shut the engine off and return it to the open position. All these years and I never considered that issue except once where I had moved the shutoff to inside the cabin of a boat and considered leaving it in the shut position as a theft prevention method. I think there would need to be a series of faults for the engine to start itself and it would be highly improbable. Can't blame the security guard for not knowing the difference a wire resonance and an engine.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Attention boaters, don't forget to tip your marina security folks!

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
I _always_ turn the fuel valve off. (I always shut all the thru-hulls too)

Rationale:
1. I have a gas engine, any leaks would be very very very bad.
2. A cat 30's tank is pretty high in the rear of the boat and can therefore siphon fuel out of the tank. Therefore a carb, filter, hose, etc leak would be very very very bad.
3. Even if I had a diesel, when 20 gal of fuel leaks into the bilge and it gets pumped out into the marina, that's very very very bad.

Interestingly enough, with a gas engine there's enough fuel in the bowl to pretty much get my boat out of the slip, down the fairway, and into the main marina channel. Last time I forgot to open the fuel valve I calmly looked at my wife when the engine stopped and said "I think we should raise the main now." Main goes up, unfurled the jib, and we sailed it out that day. Had guests on board that never knew anything was amiss, 'cept maybe for that massive panic look my wife had for a second or two. Lucky for me there's no job on the boat that either of us can't or don't know how to do. (Well, except for pumping the black tank. She won't do that.)

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
M-Capitan, what type of line are you using for your topping lift? I know of a number of boats with amsteel line (or similar) for a topping lift, and when the main sheet is pulled tight, the topping lift can resonate quite significantly.

Chris

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Attention boaters, don't forget to tip your marina security folks!
Be careful on HOW and WHO you tip!

In my case, at night, it is the city police.:)
_______
As normal, SBO forae, have stimulated so good thoughts and perhaps actions.

I just installed a state of the art, high definition video security system (I can see 8 cameras on my iPad) for my landlubber business. Only $600 installed.

I may TIP my Marina a system or get a few boaters to chip in.
Jim...

PS: The cameras are outdoor, infrared, 720p, 80 foot range, and only about ≈$30 each to replace.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
We had some dudes stealing shore power cords for the copper and the monkey on their back. The marina installed surveillance cameras, ID'd the perps and rounded them up with a truck load of shore cords in possession. Very effective deterrent.

bgary

Sep 17, 2015
1985 Ericson 32-III Everett
Heh. About a week after my new-to-me boat arrived on the truck from California, I got a voicemail from the marina office, saying: "Please call us as soon as possible. There is a problem with the boat in your slip".

Heart rate goes to about 300 as all the possibilities start flashing through my head. Did it catch on fire? Did it sink? Has my fuel become an ecological disaster with unimaginable fines? What?!?!

Turns out, they were calling to let me know that they believed "somebody else" was squatting in my slip, because the boat tied up there had California tags and they had no record of it in their system.

;-)

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
'how i know this#1- :' tailwinds and a lot of rain from a huge hurricane were hitting through our marina located at a state park. one of the boats on the dock had taken his companion way doors home to re finish. folks at the marina tried to gerry rig a tarp over his entry way . the wind was so strong the tarp blew off, and his entire interior was soaking wet for a week. the marina never even called him. #2- vandals broke in to 3 boats in winter storage. stripped all the electronics, left winter covers askew. one of the owners discovered it and alerted the others. marina did not notice. I'll take a marina that calls me up over one who does not notice major issues every time...

May 5, 2012
Beneteau 311 Milwaukee - McKinley Marina
M-Capitan, what type of line are you using for your topping lift? I know of a number of boats with amsteel line (or similar) for a topping lift, and when the main sheet is pulled tight, the topping lift can resonate quite significantly.

Chris
Chris- not sure but it looks like a small line or sheet... I'd say less than 1/4 inch cord?