Cabin heater for a trailer sailor

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Yes, they will go that fast, but realistically, most the sailing in in the 10-16 knot range, since it gets scary past that.
Thanks for the input thinwater. they sure look beautiful and I'll bet there a lot of fun. your comment above immediately reminded me of a young Texas cowpoke I ran into at a hang gliding meet who had just taken his first tandem flight. I'm not sure how to do a slooowwww Texas drawwl on computer, but imagine one in his reply when asked how he liked the flight. "whyyy.... I ain't never been that scaared bafore in ma hol life........... [big grin] I kinda liked it". ;)
Cheers,
Russ

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
I have one of those little stoves also. we use ours all the time as it's very compact and convenient for quick heating of water or food, but those fuel canisters are actually a mixture of butane and propane, and I'm pretty sure the butane portion is heavier than air also. I'll have to see if we have an asian grocery store that carries the fuel canisters now however, as we do use it a lot. ;) .
We have one too and love it! I even bring it in the house sometimes and set it on top of our flat top electric stove when I don't have all day to wait on a pot of water to boil!!!

Sam

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
the best option is the catalytic buddy heater, the single cylinder model.
I was reluctant to get one because of the moisture issues I have experienced for many years with cooking and using propane in a travel trailer.
but the good news is, in practice, using the heater in a small boat isnt as bad as in a travel trailer because, 1, even though a byproduct of burning fossil fuels is water vapor, you are already on the water where there is a higher amount of moisture in the air, and being in that environment does NOT create any more or less byproduct from the combustion, but lessens its noticeable effects.... 2, usually, with the temps well above the freezing mark, you arent running it as long in that environment, and 3, the boat is not closed up as long as a travel trailer commonly is and without as large of an interior, when the hatch is opened, the hot damp air can escape quicker, and lets in drier air....

I was surprised at how nicely the buddy heater works.... if it wasnt for my wife needing a reliable source of heat in the cold mornings, I would still be holding firm with the naysayers....

I do agree that a CO detector is good practice, no matter if you have a heater or not, but where the buddy heater is a catalytic heater, the claims made by the manufacture is that it can safely be used indoors... but I would think one needs to then monitor the O2 levels so you dont consume all the oxygen out of the space....

we like ours and will continue to use it as needed....

there are no older outboard motors that create enough heat while idling to efficiently heat a living space. they are set to run at less than 140 degrees.
cold weather fishermen do commonly tap into the water system of their outboard and run a stream of water into a tank for washing and warming their hands, but even when a large outboard motor is working hard, the water is never hot enough that you cant hold your hand in it.....
this may not be true for some of the newer 4strokes and etec motors, but still, a 2 cylinder motor at an idle could not produce enough heat or water flow to heat a 200+ cf living space.

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Incomplete combustion (or complete combustion in some cases) can lead to elevated CO levels and that can lead to death without "warning".
in a perfect world, complete combustion will not develop CO.... its the incomplete combustion that causes it. the problem is, we dont know how complete the combustion is when burning something, so it is good to know that there is a high chance of high levels of CO being produced when there is a flame burning, and act accordingly, or end up as a statistic...

a flame burning on low and a bit cold will have higher CO emissions than a good hot flame...... and, an open flame burning in an enclosed space may be fairly efficient and CO free shortly after being lit, but as it burns and consumes the O2 from the air, the flame then begins to starve and becomes much less efficient, and will emit higher and higher amounts of CO.
as the O2 levels go down, the CO emissions rise dramatically, so no open flames in an enclosed space....

a properly working catalytic heater insures complete combustion.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
With oxygen being depleted in a confined space without ventilation of any sorts, I prefer to dress warmly as I can remember the use of such heater even in a tent with two scout leaders one whom I knew and two if not three scouts died as all were sleeping in a tent supposedly breathable?

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
Mr Buddy to heat the cabin when your awake . CO2 sensor in the cabin.
Catalytic heater or a candlabra lamp ( 3 candles in a metal lamp , that can be hung in the cabin. For when you sleep.)
A lot better than freezing your nose off.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Because of the stated reasons above we had used hand-warmers to get rid of the chill. Some of the type hunters use when out in the cold. We used the single use type and found some phase change multi-use type most good for four hours. Cheap fix until we decided to get a bigger boat. (Now we change latitudes)

All U Get