Cabin heater for a trailer sailor

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Just curious what might be available, at an affordable price, to heat the cabin a bit. not intending to keep it on overnight or anything. just want to have a chance to go below and thaw out for a wile if we decide to go out for the day mid winter this year. I've looked at a couple of small portable propane units that claim to be safe for indoor use, but not sure I really trust those. any thoughts or suggestions?

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
No matter what you select, make sure you have a functioning CO detector on board.

The potential problem with propane heaters is storing the propane bottles and possible propane leaks inside the cabin from the stored canisters or from the connection to the device. By design, a boat is "sealed" from the waterline down (otherwise you'd get water in the people tank). Propane is heavier than air so if you have a leak from the bottle or from the connection to the bottle the propane will "sink" to the low point and concentrate and then a spark could be catastrophic. If my memory serves me correctly, current standards do not allow propane to be stored in a locker or cabin without a sealed container that vents from a low point directly overboard so keeping the container in the cabin does not meet that standard. I have seen people take portable "stoves" and heaters on board and then keep the small disposable bottles in a cupboard or locker in the cabin. That is not a good idea. If you are going to have propane on board any canisters should be kept topside in some sort of container that vents directly overboard from a low point. Your boat - your choice but propane safety is not to be taken lightly.

I'm sure someone on here more familiar with the standards can chime in on the guidelines. I'm not sure what is available other than propane but propane wouldn't be my first choice for a cabin heater. Your boat - your choice.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
For that same use, I have been very happy with the Portable Buddy from Mr. Heater. It has a tip-over switch and a low oxygen switch for safety.. The primary downside is exactly as Smokey73 points out.. the possibility of leaks. The other downside is the water vapor that comes from burning the propane.. Inside the boat, the vapor will condense on everything that is cold, like the underside of the deck and inside the hull..
http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/s...^c-plaid^68457282318-sku^007325053-adType^PLA

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
A friend uses that Mr. Heater on his Montgomery 23. He keeps the top of 3 hatch boards out for ventilation. I tried one of these Little Buddys on my O'day, and it got WAY too hot way too quickly. http://www.mrheater.com/little-buddy-heater.html After that, I purchased an Egloo candle heater. http://eglooinfo.it This is a more refined version of the 2 flower pot candle heater that went viral when Dylan Winters posted about it on Keep Turning Left. But you know, I haven't ever used it, let alone brought it to the boat! I guess since I live closer to the boat now, I'd rather just go home than sleep over on a cold boat. Plus, we have to haul out by end of October, so I guess I'd get most of my use in the spring. Then again, I didn't launch until early July this year, sooooo...

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
There are also engine coolant heaters, just like an auto heater, that can take the chill off. Course you have to run the motor.
FWIW

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
There are also engine coolant heaters, just like an auto heater, that can take the chill off. Course you have to run the motor.
FWIW
Challenging to attach to a 6hp outboard however. ;)

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
Im also using this one http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/portable-buddy-heater.html in a similar boat. I use it for winter boat camping on Lake Havasu Arizona and only use it first thing in the morning while Im making coffee. It may be just slightly more than I need but the larger base is more stable = good thing and its still fairly easy to store.

JCall

May 3, 2016
Macgregor 26D Ceasars Creek
BudGates said:
lol, I was thinking the same thing. Even a challenge with my 9.9 outboard.
I think it can be done. The cooling water exhaust port could be connected to a valve. One position would send the water overboard. The other would route the water through a flex copper line run low around the perimeter of the cabin. Most likely need to exhaust this end through a thru hull. I would not want to try and push the water back up hill. Maybe run the copper line level with outboard and exit where you can still monitor the stream. This is much better than all that moisture in the cabin from a non vented propane heater, chance of propane leak...

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
I currently use a single burner butane stove, uses canisters that look like a spray paint can and the clay flower pot trick. I chose butane since it is lighter than air. If you shop around you can find the stove for about $30, the canisters can get expensive. The best I have found is at an Asian grocery store where a 4 pack is $6, at WalMart a 3 pack is around $9.
The nice part is the stoves come in a plastic carrying case for storage, can be used inside or out and there is no propane. The fuel canisters don't last as long as the greenie propane ones do. My sailing season is 6 months, spend at least 2 over nights a month and use 8-10 canisters of fuel per season cooking for 2 & taking the chill off the cabin occasionally.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I currently use a single burner butane stove, uses canisters that look like a spray paint can and the clay flower pot trick. I chose butane since it is lighter than air. If you shop around you can find the stove for about $30, the canisters can get expensive. The best I have found is at an Asian grocery store where a 4 pack is $6, at WalMart a 3 pack is around $9.
The nice part is the stoves come in a plastic carrying case for storage, can be used inside or out and there is no propane. The fuel canisters don't last as long as the greenie propane ones do. My sailing season is 6 months, spend at least 2 over nights a month and use 8-10 canisters of fuel per season cooking for 2 & taking the chill off the cabin occasionally.
I have one of those little stoves also. we use ours all the time as it's very compact and convenient for quick heating of water or food, but those fuel canisters are actually a mixture of butane and propane, and I'm pretty sure the butane portion is heavier than air also. I'll have to see if we have an asian grocery store that carries the fuel canisters now however, as we do use it a lot. ;) .

Last edited:

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
No matter what you select, make sure you have a functioning CO detector on board.
A CO2 detector might be a good idea to have onboard any enclosed boat, but it will not detect the presence of unburned propane.

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
A CO2 detector might be a good idea to have onboard any enclosed boat, but it will not detect the presence of unburned propane.
A fuel vapor detector (e.g. from Xintex, Trident, etc.) should detect propane, butane, gasoline vapors, etc. Different models are marketed as propane detectors or as 'gasoline fume' detectors. At least in the Xintex line, the actual sensor module is the same; the units sold for propane often include a solenoid control for a fixed propane tank / regulator system (which I'm guessing few of us trailer sailors have), so the gasoline models are a bit cheaper. Xintex instructions say to test the detector with an unlit butane lighter, so I know the sensor detects butane as well.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
When I had a trailer sailor (Stiletto 27) I dressed for the weather and took a sleeping bag. I installed proper ventilated heater Dickenson P9000) in my current boat.

I would NEVER breath the exhaust of any heater in confined space. Even elevated CO2 is bad for you. Those things bother me even in a big industrial garage. I'd rather wear more clothes.

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
butane since it is lighter than air.
Sorry to inform you but both Butane and Propane are heavier than air while natural gas in lighter. Have you never held your hand to form a cup, put a bit of butane from a lighter into it and then turn on the lighter. I thought every kid has done that.

Mar 2, 2008
Cal 25 mk II T-Bird Marina, West Vancouver
I used an Origo alcohol heater with a fire brick wired above the burner on my previous boat. It worked but it put a lot of moisture in the air that condensed on cold surfaces. I installed a Dickenson ventilated heater with a small fan on my present boat and a CO alarm. I also have an oil lamp that puts out a fair amount of heat.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
When I had a trailer sailor (Stiletto 27) I dressed for the weather and took a sleeping bag. I installed proper ventilated heater Dickenson P9000) in my current boat.

I would NEVER breath the exhaust of any heater in confined space. Even elevated CO2 is bad for you. Those things bother me even in a big industrial garage. I'd rather wear more clothes.
I also dislike the idea of using an unventilated heater in a confined space, BUT............. I also dislike being cold, so I'll strike a happy medium. I don't see us out sailing in any really cold weather anyway, so this is more for just short term use to warm the pinkies etc. my wife especially is very cold blooded. As fortune would have it, I just happened on a coupon from Bi-Mart for the Portable Buddy at $69.95 so I went down and bought one this morning. If we do need a thaw at some point, it can be fired up briefly wile the sails are down for lunch etc. the need for caution is something I'm well aware of. Just last winter, we had an older gentleman in a power boat anchor out and burnt the boat down on the water in the middle of the night. he drowned before reaching shore.

@thinwater . You mentioned you had a Stiletto 27, and called it your "trailer sailor". did you in fact trailer sail that boat? if so what was the setup time? If I had the spare change I would own one of those boats in a heartbeat, as I've really been in serious withdrawals for a need for speed. I haven't seen anything that comes close to the speed of the Stiletto, wile retaining some degree of sailing comfort, stability, and portability. I really need to experience 25kt+ on a sail boat at least once ;) .

Cheers,
Russ

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I understand, the purpose of the CO (not CO2) detector has nothing to do with the propane or fuel source but rather having any kind of combustion inside a closed space. Incomplete combustion (or complete combustion in some cases) can lead to elevated CO levels and that can lead to death without "warning". You just go the sleep and never wake up! It happens in horse trailers, campers, homes and just about anyplace where combustion occurs, so don't be a victim. Have one and periodically test it, replace the batteries before you hear the "chirp" place it in a place where the CO is likely to accumulate, etc. If you're not afraid of CO buildup when you burn something in an enclosed space then you are a real risk taker and someday, if you do it enough, probably a victim.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I understand, the purpose of the CO (not CO2) detector has nothing to do with the propane or fuel source but rather having any kind of combustion inside a closed space. Incomplete combustion (or complete combustion in some cases) can lead to elevated CO levels and that can lead to death without "warning". You just go the sleep and never wake up! It happens in horse trailers, campers, homes and just about anyplace where combustion occurs, so don't be a victim. Have one and periodically test it, replace the batteries before you hear the "chirp" place it in a place where the CO is likely to accumulate, etc. If you're not afraid of CO buildup when you burn something in an enclosed space then you are a real risk taker and someday, if you do it enough, probably a victim.
Good advise, and thanks for the reminder. I plan to pick up a CO detector in the morning so I'll have it ready to go.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
@thinwater . You mentioned you had a Stiletto 27, and called it your "trailer sailor". did you in fact trailer sail that boat? if so what was the setup time? If I had the spare change I would own one of those boats in a heartbeat, as I've really been in serious withdrawals for a need for speed. I haven't seen anything that comes close to the speed of the Stiletto, wile retaining some degree of sailing comfort, stability, and portability. I really need to experience 25kt+ on a sail boat at least once ;) .

Cheers,
Russ
No, it stayed in the water. Set-up time depends on the amount of "stuff" that has been added and the crew. Probably 2-3 hours. But since I could cover 150 miles in daylight, I could go pretty far. My longest trip was 550 miles.

Yes, they will go that fast, but realistically, most the sailing in in the 10-16 knot range, since it gets scary past that. With 18 hp, they motor at 11 knots.

As for stability, they will lift a hull in about 12 knots true while close reaching at about 9-10 knots. They really require beach cat experience to be sailed well.