Bulkhead Burning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 Jersey City, NJ
I know this was posted in the past, but I had a problem while motoring yesterday and would like to be sure how to fix it. I wrote to Catalina about a similar issue a few years ago and never got a satisfactory response. After motoring for about 20 minutes at nearly full throttle, I noticed smoke coming from the cabin. Upon opening the engine cover, I saw that the bulkhead was charred black and it seemed as though exhaust was leaking (some slight bubbling) from the connection between the large hose and the insulated pipe in the exhaust system. There are two large hose clamps on this joint and I tightened them, but it looks as though they may need to be repositioned.

Has anyone experienced this and found a solution? Any insight into this would be very much appreciated since this is quite a dangerous situation.

Thanks,
Peter
Marestella, Hull #110
Jersey City, Nj

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
I have seen a cutout in the bulkhead with a panel over the cutout on the back side. This provides more space.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
I had the same problem and asked Catalina to rectify it as it is an obvious design/installation fault.
They responded by sending me a ready made insulation panel. I only had to cut out the appropriate section in the bulkhead, so that it could be screwed in from the rear cabin.
Have had no concerns since in this respect since. My longest continous motoring time has been about 1 hour.
Suggest you contact Warren Panby, warren@catalinayachts.com , he was very helpful.
RE some further background, see
http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=109676&#post638584 and

http://forums.catalina.sailboatowners.com/showthread.php?t=114518&#post678960

Good Luck

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 Jersey City, NJ
Thanks all. That information is very useful. When I inspected things closer yesterday, I also noticed that there was a lot of black spatter on the bulkhead. I thought it might have been because the hose clamps were not tight enough, but eventually I pulled some of the insulation back from the cast iron pipe, and saw that there was actually a crack in the pipe. Since replacing that pipe doesn't look like a very owner-friendly job, I need to get it patched so that I can make the several-hour ride to the boatyard where I normally lay the boat up over the winter. I ended up using some epoxy putty and then covered it all with the metal tape they sell in auto parts stores to repair exhaust systems. I'm going to the boat today to see if it does the job.

Thanks for all the info. I'll give Warren a call tomorrow and see what they can do.

Peter Patrone

Status
Not open for further replies.