Boat US Insurance question....

Capn D

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 380 Clear Lake, TX
I need a bit of advice concerning an insurance issue we are having.

Our boat took a lightning strike last April. Our boat was on a lake at the time, and we spent 6 months going round-and-round with the marina for repairs. After an obscene quote and an estimate of a year for repairs, we decided - on our own dime - to move the boat to the gulf coast for repairs.

Boat US is our insurance company. Had them for about 18 years with no claims, so you would think they would really love us. Others on this board have posted great comments about their service....

When we decided to move the boat, our Boat US adjuster admonished us that moving was all on us and to do it quickly so they did not incur yard charges. Even though, moving the boat to a more economical environment was going to save them thousands on the claim.

So, we paid to move the boat 2 weeks ago.

There are two phases to repairing the boat: Out of water repairs and in water repairs. Once we got the boat to the coast, our Boat US adjuster became completely non-responsive. Multiple phone calls and emails went unanswered other than one email response that had a reply of "received".

This past Friday, my wife and I took the day off from work to drive the 5 hours to the boat to see if we could get things moving. On the way down, we finally received a call from our Boat US adjuster approving the out-of-water work. Great! She even said she was overnighting a check! We got to the boat, got the trades to do the work and floated the boat.

Now, the engine still does not work, but remembering our admonishment to get the boat out of the yard quickly so Boat US does not have to pay for the year, I called...TowBoat US! We are members! Full towing!! Woo Hoo! They can move the boat to our newly paid for slip: Right.....

I call TowBoat US. They ask why the the engine didn't work. I explained. They asked who the insurance company was. I told them Boat US. They asked for the claim number and adjuster. I provided both.

Over the course of an hour, TowBoat US called me twice. Boat US called me (I NEVER called them....this tow was on ME). The boat shows up, moves me...all is good.

Then, Friday NIGHT I get a voicemail from my Boat US adjuster basically hauling me behind the woodshed because she was not personally called about me moving the boat as requested.

Now: No Check. No response from Boat US. No Nothing. We suspect that when her feelings were hurt, she cancelled the check.

So...after all this, a few questions: Has anyone else ever suffered through such poor - horrendous customer service? I cannot find any advocate at Boat US to help us past this issue and our concern now is that it will take a lawyer to get this organization to fulfill their obligations. I'm already out about 10K just to start and the bills to full repair are in the $50K range.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
honestly , if your agent won't talk to you, you little choice but to call in legal help, it will likely take way longer than you want though.
I would call boatUS and leave messages everywhere first, though I'm sure you've done that

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
My advice is to (painfully) send a copy of this thread and a respectful but disappointed letter overnight mail to the Boat US President which you can find on-line. Immediately. I would not retain Counsel yet. Things were going sorta good before; you need to get through this log jam. IMHO, representation at this point will harden positions and create unnecessary delay. It remains a later option. There was a swap of underwriters recently and there may be some teething going on. I think you are to be commended for doing what you could to both expedite and economize the repair. Take one more shot while biting your lip to get through this. You assess it well. (BTW, I ran a claim department in one of my past lives. Sorry about that...)

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
i had a similar experience with boat us after a lighting strike, you would have to search it under my name here, too painful to read it again. after you clear it up, change to MARKEL, same coverage half the price.

BUT..... more importantly for us, why does your thread have 15 words highlighted to direct us to another forum? seems unfair to this current forum. just curious!

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
My advice is to (painfully) send a copy of this thread and a respectful but disappointed letter overnight mail to the Boat US President which you can find on-line. Immediately. I would not retain Counsel yet. Things were going sorta good before; you need to get through this log jam. IMHO, representation at this point will harden positions and create unnecessary delay. It remains a later option. There was a swap of underwriters recently and there may be some teething going on. I think you are to be commended for doing what you could to both expedite and economize the repair. Take one more shot while biting your lip to get through this. You assess it well. (BTW, I ran a claim department in one of my past lives. Sorry about that...)
A few years back my boat, also insured by BoatUS, fell off of its jack stands. BoatUS was great, the surveyor not so much. Eventually I sent an letter to the President of BoatUS and politely explained the situation. In a short time I received all of the money and everything went smoothly. So, my advice is to send a letter to the head honcho.

A confounding factor in your case is that while you are pursuing your claim, BoatUS insurance was being sold. Your claim may be caught in the crossfire.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
BUT..... more importantly for us, why does your thread have 15 words highlighted to direct us to another forum? seems unfair to this current forum. just curious!
The highlighted words came over from CF.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2259511#post2259511

It looks like the post was originally written there, then cut and pasted to start this thread on SBO.

@Capn D - The advice about trying one more email (to the president) is good, assuming you attach a copy of this thread, and a copy of the other thread on CF. Company presidents (unless they are bank presidents) tend not to like bad publicity. It may be enough to light a fire in the appropriate place. Good luck.

Last edited:

Capn D

Jun 4, 2004
Humm. Sorry about the links! I had posted this on another forum and it must have added the links. I'm going to attempt to remove them. Thanks for pointing that out.

Capn D

Jun 4, 2004
To all: Great advice and support. I appreciate it. I'm going to track down the Boat US President contact info and send all this to him. Hopefully it will make a difference. I will keep everyone posted!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
It really doesn't matter. "...unfair to this current forum..."??? Huh??? While you are not new here, for the long time you've been here you have relatively few posts, so if you don't know already, you'll find that links are powerful tools that assist folks with questions. It avoid having people retype answers to lots of recurring questions that require more nuanced answers than yes or no. I found the replies on CF interesting and read CF as much as I do here. The different skippers there offer a different view of things than those here, simply based on their different experiences.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Adjusters are usually hired hands. A company Rep will have a supervisor. Give the supervisor a call to see if you can get a better explanation of what is going on and if still you do not get a satisfactory resolution then send a letter and call the President of BoatUS. Remember the company was reported to have changed ownership to Geico in 2015. I would think they would strive to keep up the good reputation that was built over the years but that would depend on the new management policies.

May 25, 2004
Catalina 400 mkII Harbor
It really doesn't matter. "...unfair to this current forum..."??? Huh??? While you are not new here, for the long time you've been here you have relatively few posts, so if you don't know already, you'll find that links are powerful tools that assist folks with questions. It avoid having people retype answers to lots of recurring questions that require more nuanced answers than yes or no. I found the replies on CF interesting and read CF as much as I do here. The different skippers there offer a different view of things than those here, simply based on their different experiences.

well stu, yes i have been a member for a long time. i choose to only respond to questions and posts that i know something about, not every other post,
i see you are still responding to winterizing questions, i always get a kick how you tell people not to use a hose to get the antifreeze in the engine. i still cant figure out how your engine operates without hoses, could you post pictures?

i dont believe that its fair for someone or something to take words that are posted to used to transfer to a different site without notice, obviously someone else dosnt either as it is now changed.

so if i see something strange, i will question it, if i see a post i KNOW an answer for, and i feel my response will be helpful to the member i will respond. if i need to throw off alittle steam once in while when i been wronged by sailing provider and feel it will help other members i will post that too.

good to talk to you
mike

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
honestly , if your agent won't talk to you, you little choice but to call in legal help,
Well THAT is the problem with BoatUS Insurance, you DO NOT have an agent. You have a website and an 800 number, and a real cool sticker for your bumper. As noted he is dealing with a claims manager who has as much authority as the kid selling you a hamburger at Burger World. Demand a local claims manager and meet them on site, don't walk away until you get a plan for repairs, followed in writing. Know what they are going to do about your incurred costs to date. Set a deadline for work to begin (in writing), and let them know that will be the date when you are determined to retain legal counsel.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
There is the Art of the Turbo - when you have exhausted normal channels to get things taken care of, and then you go straight to the top. It's called an art, because you can't just call up a CEO and go all Ranty McKillKill. I'm not sure if this is the original article I had read, but it is a very useful manual for a successful turbo attempt: http://www.macwhiz.com/blog/art-of-turboing/

Capn D

Jun 4, 2004
Update: I got a call from a Claims Supervisor at Boat US today. They are aware of this post and they initiated the phone call - so kudos to them. The gentleman was extremely nice. He actually listened to me (I'm not a flame-throwing guy...but do like to get things done). We walked through everything gathered so far, what I had done to mitigate claim costs, etc.

He is going to call me back tomorrow with what I hope is good news. I will let everyone know how it goes.

Capn D

Jun 4, 2004
go all Ranty McKillKill.
Ha! I've got to save that one, Brian. I can get intense when necessary, but I'm pretty laid back unless I'm on the range.... However (and I can post this): my wife and I have a running joke...she can go for the kill, especially with sales people. She once make a car salesman just about cry. When I need her to do her thing, I just tell her to "fire up the broom"....

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
I'm in the middle of a hurricane damage claim with Boat US/Geico. I've been with Boat US insurance for 20 yrs +. Never had a claim or damage. Then Matthew hit. I hauled the boat as suggested by Boat US and removed the mast. Good thing too. Two boats left their masts up, fell off the jackstands and lost their masts as well.

They sent a surveyor who didn't call as requested to tell me when he was going to be there. I have not talked with him since, even though I requested a call.
He failed to account for some damage and under estimated the cost of some repairs to the mast and rigging.
I have been talking to a nice gal on the phone who I hope will sort it all out.

Mar 31, 2013
O'day 23 Pa
now that Geico is running the show. it would seem obvious that they would change things to running their way,no?
SO, what are the options? who was second choice before BoatUS,?

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
I'm an insurance agent in SC and stories about "insurance companies behaving badly" always make me cringe! I requested a boat quote from Boat US just for giggles and it was twice what I paid through Foremost(owned by Farmers, I believe) Ins. Co. and, by the way, their claims service is the best!