Boat Stripe

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Hello everyone , First off I have to tell you all thanks for all the technical contributions that have been made to this forum. I have benefited myself from a lot of them.I am in the middle of a restoration project on a 1982 C22, that I have had to do an extremely a lot of hull Don blisters and delamination repair. I will post some pics shortly but If you don't mind I need some advice. I have had to sand the boot stripe off and need to know what the width of the boot stripe so I can paint a new one on. Thank you all and appreciate all your contributions and help. Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Well it can be whatever you want I guess, not like there's a law ... but mine measures about 3 1/8", and is 3/4" above the bottom paint:

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
The boot stripe on many boats are not a uniform width along the entire length. Many adjust the width to compensate for the fact that the stern is at a different viewing angle than the mid section or bow. If the boot stripe were a uniform width, it would look much narrower at the stern because of the turn of the bilge near the waterline. The flatter the aft section of the boat, the greater the width the stripe should be in order for it to look correct for it's entire length as the boat is viewed perpendicular to the beam. Once you determine what width the stripe at the bow should be, level the boat bow to stern and use a water level to adjust the stripe width as you move aft from bow to stern. You can see what I'm describing in the following two photos.
IMG_1435.JPG
IMG_1439.JPG

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Absolutely right, Ted, mine gets much wider up under the stern. Totally didn't think about that.

Jan 23, 2015
catalina catalina22 Trailer
Thank you guys so much for the advice. I saw a video on you tube that shows a guy marking his lines with a pc of wood with a level and with 2 points while one being adjustable to change the width. as he traveled making his boot stripe mark he would make his mark while paying attention to the level.Thanks for the info, Gene thanks for the pic of your boat looks great! I see you own a Albin Vega 27. Nice to live in both worlds...later

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
if you can pick up two old points, a laser doesnt have to be perfectly level. i used that method on my old c25. worked great for masking

Jul 25, 2016
Catalina 22 Sacramento
Mine is a factory boat. It's a 1971. I am pretty sure that the same bottom paint and striping are original.
I thought that Gene's boat and trailer look really good. A nice clean set up. I bet he gets a lot of complements while driving to his favorite haunts.

Attachments

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Dang Gene, that's one beautiful New Design boat and trailer!! To get back to the original question about the boot stripe, I thought it was gel coat.....