bilge pump

Apr 17, 2013
Catalina 310 57 Pompano Beach, FL
Does anyone know how the bilge pump is wired to the batteries. My question is with the Perko switch on the panel turned to off the bilge pump will still work as stated on the panel. I am replacing the batteries and do not see any extra wires running to them other then the alternator and AC charger, so how is the bilge pump wired to the batteries.

Thanks,
Mark
S/V Sweet Pee #57

Dec 16, 2011
Catalina 310 Atlantic Highlands
On "Jacqueline" even if the main battery selector is "Off" but the Bilge Pump switch on the DC panel is "on" then the pump will run in both auto (if there is water) or manual (if I click the selector over to manual). If the Bilge Pump switch on the DC panel is "off" the pump will not run. Not sure if that helps you, but that is the behavior that I have on my boat.

Aug 24, 2009
Catalina 310 Sturgeon Bay, WI
The Pump switch picks it power off the terminal connection at the back of the Perko switch, so is "Hard Wired" to be live all the time. (as Curt noted, control is by the panel switch - so that is the only way you shut it off, short of disconnecting the battery)

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Long Story and Curt already gave you the explanation but here are some graphics.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

P.S. Factory the alternator didn't run to the batteries. Are you sure this is the setup?

P.P.S. What are you putting in for batteries?

Attachments

Apr 17, 2013
You are correct the alternator is wired to the starter then to the common on the battery switch, must of had a few rums when I did the post the other wire is the one running to the common of the battery switch. I see now how the bilge pump is wired, the analog voltmeter will also work with the battery switch off. I never turn off the switch since I have things in the refrigerator and need it to continue working. Replaced the batteries today with 4 T105 Trojan 6 volt batteries and 1 Group 27 Trojan. The 4 T105 will be the House bank and the Trojan SCS200 will be the reserve battery.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
You are correct the alternator is wired to the starter then to the common on the battery switch, must of had a few rums when I did the post the other wire is the one running to the common of the battery switch. I see now how the bilge pump is wired, the analog voltmeter will also work with the battery switch off. I never turn off the switch since I have things in the refrigerator and need it to continue working. Replaced the batteries today with 4 T105 Trojan 6 volt batteries and 1 Group 27 Trojan. The 4 T105 will be the House bank and the Trojan SCS200 will be the reserve battery.
How did you positions the batteries? Can you show us a picture?

Apr 17, 2013
This is how I positioned the batteries the 12 Volt 27 and 3 of the 6 Volts in the main battery compartment then the other 6 volt in the adjacent compartment. My understanding is that the batteries should be orientated port to starboard, that will minimize leakage when healing. The 6 volt in the adjacent compartment is not oriented correctly so it could be a leakage issue. In my other boat I never had an issue about leakage and the batteries were not oriented properly. Will find out. Any history on this subject.

Thanks,
Mark & Joy
S/V Sweet Pea

Attachments

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Sorry to side track your discussion a little bit, but why didn't you put the group 27 in the other storage area? It would be cheaper to replace than the 6 volt and those are going to get most of the work anyways.

I had to sacrifice orientation on two to get all the batteries into the same area. I didn't want to give up the area you but the battery under the settee because that is where my diaphragm bilge pump is going.

Looking at your batteries the two things I didn't see were fuses and a tie down system. Do you have those? Looking at your setup you need two fuses on each bank. A fuse for the 2/0 AWG wire to the battery selector switch and a fuse for the 4 AWG wire to the battery charger.

Fair winds,

Jesse

Apr 17, 2013
Tie downs are coming later, to put the 27 in the other compartment I would need to extend wiring. The AC charging wires are fused it is hard to see it. I have seen several different articles on fusing the main battery cable, when I bought the boat it wasn't fused. Still looking at the pros and cons. Thanks for any advice.

Mark

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Tie downs are coming later, to put the 27 in the other compartment I would need to extend wiring. The AC charging wires are fused it is hard to see it.
These must be the 40 amp slow-blow glass fuses in the inline holders that Catalina installed factory. They don't make the correct replacement fuses any more. Replace them with either ANL or MRBF fuses.

I did this by creating a positive fuse/distribution buss at the batteries. Here is an early version before I added solar and an inverter and changed to golf cart batteries.

Note the black ANL fuse. These are cheap POS that are dangerous. I bought them to try because they were half the cost of the Blue Sea Systems ANL. You get what you pay for. My first problem with these was when we were in York Harbor. I checked the batteries and I was at 65% SOC. No problem, I'll just run the diesel. An hour later I was at 58% SOC. What happened? The cheap ANL fuse wasn't letting any current through even though it didn't show as blown. My next problem is they were blowing on the ignition side for no reason. Maine Sail has since done a write up on these cheap fuses. Stick with the Blue Sea Systems ANL fuses. The cheap fuse holders from Genuine Dealz are OK but I wouldn't buy again. I would just stick with Blue Sea Systems. Sometimes the quality can't be match.

I have seen several different articles on fusing the main battery cable, when I bought the boat it wasn't fused. Still looking at the pros and cons.
There are none, zero, zilch cons to fusing the main battery cables on an auxiliary sail boat. I am sure if you take another look any discussions of not fusing are based on large, power boats.

The only article you ever need to read on this subject is Battery Bank Fusing by Compass Marine (aka Maine Sail on this site).

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
My $0.02

... I have seen several different articles on fusing the main battery cable, when I bought the boat it wasn't fused. Still looking at the pros and cons. Thanks for any advice. Mark
Mainesail recommended them, I believed him, that settled it! :D

I did those blue sea one that go right on the terminal. Cheap (<$100) and easy to install.

Apr 17, 2013
Re: My $0.02

Checked the 12 volt schematic from the owners manual and did not see any fuses for the battery. As far as I know cars do not have fuses to protect the wiring from the battery to the starter which is hot so why should you have it on a boat cars are more regulated. Yes a fire on a boat would be catastrophic I totally agree, so why are boats not fused. I bought this boat in 2012 it is hull#57 2001 as far as I can tell there are no fuses between the batteries and the Perko Switch and I did not see one on the schematic. I would like my boat to be as safe as possible, so any advise would be appreciated. Is the concern that you could short a positive lead to ground and start a fire.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
Buddybear,

Did you read the link I gave you in my last post? It answers those questions.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 310 #147 Oakville Yacht Squadron
Buddybear, Did you read the link I gave you in my last post? It answers those questions. Good luck and fair winds, Jesse
CY must have cheapened up or the PO removed them.
My 150A fuses are inboard of the batteries in that compartment. There was one for each battery but 1 have gone 4x6v series/parallel for a large 12v bank and 1 fuse