Best Wheel Autopilot for C30 ??

Sep 4, 2009
Catalina 30-1978 Avalon, CA
In olden/golden days nearly 20 years ago I installed an Autohelm wheel autopilot to my old '79 C30 and sailed solo to Costa Rica from MdR, CA...

It worked flawlessly, but again it has been 20 years and i did not saila small boat since then..
Then today I made an offer on a '85 C30...
This one doesn't have an autopilot and if they accept my offer, I was wondering which model is preferred autopilot in these days for a C30?

Thanks guys,

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409 Mt. Sinai, NY
Hey,

You really only have two choices for wheel pilots, Raymarine and 'The Cpt.'

The raymarine unit is the EV100. It's new, modern, uses NMEA 2000 networking, etc.

the CPT is older, doesn't network, looks beefy.

I bought the Raymarine unit last year and I'm happy with it. I can steer to a heading, to a wind angle (once I interfaced it with my wind instrument) or to a waypoint (after interfacing to my plotter).

www.cptautopilot.com
www.raymarine.com

Good luck,
Barry

Sep 4, 2009
Thanks Barry!

Did you get the one with the -/+1 and -/+10 buttons or the one with a rotary dial button?

dj2210

Feb 4, 2012
Catalina 30 Watts Bar
I installed the raymarine SPX5 which is the previous version of EV100. It also networks to nema and the rest of Raymarine's stuff. It has worked flawlessly for maintaining course and wasn't too hard to install. It does make some noise though. I use it alot when by myself.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
I've had a couple different Auotohelm/Raymarine units, and now an old CPT. I like the CPT better. Stronger than the Raymarine and much, much cheaper. Bullet proof and very reliable, very little to go wrong. Manual sea state and sensitivity controls which I don't mind. Does not interface with a chart plotter, but after helping clean up a couple fatal "Autopilot Assisted" wrecks, I would never again connect a pilot to a plotter. When the plotter says it's time to turn, Otto turns, and he doesn't look around first to see if there's anything in the way. With no network, the plotter tells you it's time to turn, then you look around and make the turn manually. Much safer.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
CPT...Does not interface with a chart plotter, but after helping clean up a couple fatal "Autopilot Assisted" wrecks, I would never again connect a pilot to a plotter. When the plotter says it's time to turn, Otto turns, and he doesn't look around first to see if there's anything in the way. With no network, the plotter tells you it's time to turn, then you look around and make the turn manually. Much safer.
jgw, I've been involved in many discussions about "interface" or not. Yours is one of the best reasons I've ever seem to avoid doing it. Thanks.

I've actually visited with the CPT folks in Aptos, CA. Great stuff and would be my next AP when mine dies (ST3000 - a real toy!).

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
jgw, I've been involved in many discussions about "interface" or not. Yours is one of the best reasons I've ever seem to avoid doing it. Thanks.

I've actually visited with the CPT folks in Aptos, CA. Great stuff and would be my next AP when mine dies (ST3000 - a real toy!).
I have used the Raymarine wheel pilot and currently have an ST2000+ tiller pilot, both of which were interfaced to the GPS. These units, at least, simply don't work that way.

When steering a route, the unit beeps at you when it comes to the next turn and requires user confirmation before it will actually execute the turn. It will not just mindlessly make the next turn.

Last edited:

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Hey,

I got the P70, which is for sailboats. The p70R has the rotary button and is for powerboats. The P70, with the +- buttons allows you to auto tack and auto jog (see an obstruction, press +10, clear the obstruction press -10 and you are back on course).

I don't find the noise objectionable.

As mentioned, when following a route, when the boat comes to a waypoint the AP will beep and you must press a button before the boat will change course. That's about as safe as can be. Of course you must keep watch, same as when the AP is holding a course or a helmsman is steering. The nice thing about following a route or steering to a waypoint is that the boat stays on course as things like currents change. Admittedly it's not that big a deal as it's not very difficult to check the course and press the + or - button every now and then to stay on course.

To be perfectly honest, under normal conditions the AP steers better than I do.

Barry

Thanks Barry!

Did you get the one with the -/+1 and -/+10 buttons or the one with a rotary dial button?

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
For those with raymarine , where did you put the ev100 sensor?
The cpt certainly looks like an easier install. Is it quieter than the raymarine?

Sep 4, 2009
The only thing I did not like with the CPT is the looks of it.

I mean no matter how great it works it looks like an item you find at the back shelves of a Radio Shack or made by a group of talented high school kids as a science project!

I don't like that exposed belt design and all...
Display units' have a design that appeals no-one's eyes...

I mean an item at a nearly same price to its main competitor at least must have a similar or even better eye appeal!

I understand the importance of functionality, but the "looks" or the cool design is 99% of the time is the reason which product we choose to buy.

Plus during my 36 years on the oceans as a commercial boat captain I never liked or relied the network of electronics.
I use each and every item as a reference source for me to make the decision and act on it...

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Ev100

I have the ev100. Works great and it wasn't that hard to install. You will have to hire a translator with a bloodhound to figure out the instructions but overall it's fairly simple. I put the motion sensor at the centerline of the boat under the companionway although the instructions say it doesn't really matter where it is. My one complaint is that it seems fragile. The wheel unit is plastic including the clutch.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The reason to networking interface an AP is not to turn at waypoints. Its to know real and apparent wind, and heading vs bearing. Modern AP computers will use this info to better steer, and steer to a wind direction.

Anyone that uses an AP to have a sailboat turn at a WP should have their head examined.

Nov 22, 2011
The reason to networking interface an AP is not to turn at waypoints. Its to know real and apparent wind, and heading vs bearing. Modern AP computers will use this info to better steer, and steer to a wind direction.

Anyone that uses an AP to have a sailboat turn at a WP should have their head examined.
While I agree that this is not why someone would hook up an AP to a chart plotter, the fact is that this function is provided also and there's no reason not to use it if one wants--and certainly not the alleged safety issue originally cited.

Nov 8, 2010
While I agree that this is not why someone would hook up an AP to a chart plotter, the fact is that this function is provided also and there's no reason not to use it if one wants--and certainly not the alleged safety issue originally cited.
Some truth to that for sure.

I used to working in the GPS/plotter industry. My team designed a whole range of these things. Often we would see functionality that was added to other devices because they COULD, not because they SHOULD.

Steering to waypoints, and the ability to TURN at them is one of these functions. It allows you to be away from the helm for way too long. Designed by some engineer that never set foot on a boat. Approved by a product manger who wanted one more checkbox to print on the box. Then used by someone who lets it drive his boat into an island.

BarryL

May 21, 2004
Wow, that's a bit harsh.

I sail by myself (or with inexperienced guests, young kids, etc.) and when I'm going somewhere I use the AP to steer and frequently to follow a route. When I reach the current way point and need to steer towards the next way point I let the AP pick the heading while I tend the sails. Why is that bad? Why is that any different than the 'auto tack' feature that I use ALL THE TIME? On my last boat, which had an older AP that was not interfaced, I would look at the plotter, see that I needed a 40 degree change to port (for example), then press the -10 buttons 4 times in a row, then tend the sails while the AP steered to the new course. The new way of having the plotter provide the course to the AP is basically the same except that I only have to press one button.

Am I missing something?

Barry

Nov 8, 2010
Wow, that's a bit harsh.

I sail by myself (or with inexperienced guests, young kids, etc.) and when I'm going somewhere I use the AP to steer and frequently to follow a route. When I reach the current way point and need to steer towards the next way point I let the AP pick the heading while I tend the sails. Why is that bad? Why is that any different than the 'auto tack' feature that I use ALL THE TIME? On my last boat, which had an older AP that was not interfaced, I would look at the plotter, see that I needed a 40 degree change to port (for example), then press the -10 buttons 4 times in a row, then tend the sails while the AP steered to the new course. The new way of having the plotter provide the course to the AP is basically the same except that I only have to press one button.

Am I missing something?

Barry
Barry, no you're really not. It probably IS a bit harsh. Used very carefully, it can be fine. The problem is when it is not used carefully.

I advise (and pros do as well) to have the boat steer to wind or course only It FORCES you to stay alert and vigilant to what the boat is doing. And auto tacking is not the same. You initiate that in real time. I would never allow a boat to initiate a turn with me being right there.

The owner of the Aegean was a good sailor. And he probably started out using the AP steering to WPs like you suggest. But after some time, he let it drive all night to a WP over the horizon.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Barry, you're not missing anything. My experience is that it is a boat-management issue. Some folks like interface, others don't. It's quite simple.

The "old saw"" about interfacing comes from the anecdotal (as well as probably all-too-real) stories about skippers who plugged in routes but neglected to notice that one part of the route put them in danger. BANG! Not good.

These days there is actually software that purports to assure that this won't happen.

I don't believe in the tooth fairy either. :)

Your boat, your choice.

Years ago we took a cruise with a bunch of other skippers up the Napa River. One of them sent out a route plan with 200 waypoints from the river mouth to the end of navigation.

I did the trip with six waypoints!!!

The skipper who sent the multi-tiered route out went aground at the entrance to the last waypoint. He must have been too busy following the over complicated route than watching the tides (travel on our rivers here are dictated by tides, not currents).

As long as interfacing is, well, uhm, interfaced with human confirmation before any turn is made, it's functionally identical. As long as the route has been "vetted" beforehand.

Nov 22, 2011
Some truth to that for sure.

I used to working in the GPS/plotter industry. My team designed a whole range of these things. Often we would see functionality that was added to other devices because they COULD, not because they SHOULD.

Steering to waypoints, and the ability to TURN at them is one of these functions. It allows you to be away from the helm for way too long. Designed by some engineer that never set foot on a boat. Approved by a product manger who wanted one more checkbox to print on the box. Then used by someone who lets it drive his boat into an island.
Well, any of these devices can be abused. This is true of chart plotters and autopilots per se, quite apart from any networking issues.

I find the "turn at a waypoint" function occasionally useful, particularly when I'm motoring somewhere and set a route to navigate around an obstruction. It's kind of nice to be out and about in the cockpit, keeping a normal lookout (which is essential for any kind of navigation), but then have the AP start beeping at me to confirm the next turn it wants to make. Saves me the trouble of setting up the next WP in the route because it's already in there, ready to go at the push of a button. I have a couple common routes where I use this and it is, as I say, a mild convenience. It's not something I'd pay extra for, nor would I set up the networking just to do this, nor do I rely on it.

I think the "steer to waypoint" function is a bit more useful than the "turn at waypoint" function, because it will correct your course for current and the like, but it's hardly essential, either.

Since it took me less than an hour to run the wiring between the two devices and to hook it up, I figured why not. But if I still had a boat with a wheel, I'd certainly consider the CPT if it is indeed more robust. I'd put a higher priority on that than networking, personally.

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
Raymarine ST4000

Hey All,
Don't mean to hijack this, but I have the Raymarine ST4000 wheel pilot that came with my 87 MkII I purchased last year. It's not connected to the GPS (but I read that it could), so I've only tried it by using the heading and pushing the Auto button.
It seems to me to lag quite a bit before correcting and tends to steer too late and then has to overshoot and within a couple of minutes I'm all over the place.

I don't have a lot of experience, but how well are these things supposed to work?