Best Way to Remove Soot

Sep 5, 2009
Hunter 45 CC Marina del Rey
Hi All:
I had an electrical fire (power plug area) on my boat burning the after cabin. What is the best way to remove the stains and sod?
Thanks, Viktor

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Oh no! What material has stains and soot?

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I'm sorry about your fire situation. I don't have cleaning advice except that I would hope your insurance company could steer you to a cleaning company. Even if you aren't making a claim they have relationships with vendors. If you want to go DYI, have a grease fitting installed in you elbow.
Secondly, it would be most helpful to many fellow sailors if you are willing to share the cause of the fire. I can't promise a non-judgemental environs but information shared would be valuable to others.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
shemandr said:
Your insurance company could steer you to a cleaning company. Even if you aren't making a claim they have relationships with vendors. ....
I don't think you'd want to ask the Ins Co for cleaners. It would be just enough for them to know that you had a fire, as they will put it in their records. They won't forget it. Ever.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I think shemandr is assuming that the OP will be filing a claim with his insurance company, which would pretty much alert them to the fact that there was a fire.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
Hi All:
I had an electrical fire (power plug area) on my boat burning the after cabin. What is the best way to remove the stains and sod?
Thanks, Viktor
go to napa and get a bottle of whitewall cleaner, it removes soot and stains very well... for removing the sod, use a grub hoe, but its gonna make a real mess of things;)

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Hi All:
Thanks, Viktor
Viktor,
I have the same Hunter as you, 2006 45 CC. Can you tell me where the fire was, ans if you know what caused it. My boat is in Long Beach, CA. Perhaps I can keep this from happening on my boat.

Thanks,
Jeff

Mar 15, 2013
Islander 32 mkll Comox Hrb.
"Fantastic" spray cleaner is my go to cleaner for removing soot, it works well on teak without damage, and works well in engine rooms. Hope everything turns out well, good luck!

Sep 5, 2009
Hunter 45 CC Marina del Rey
Thanks for your advice. Found out GOO Gone works also well. Paint thinner also!
The electric fire started at the power cord plug. It was plugged in for three weeks and the fire started all of a sudden where the power cord was plugged in. I always watched the power cord and there was no stain. Apparently the fuse at the dock and at my boat at the aft cabin did not trip - scary since I do not know how to prevent the fire next time. The boat is being repaired and the insurance pays!
Best, Viktor

Oct 22, 2005
Hunter 44DS Redondo Beach, CA
The electric fire started at the power cord plug. It was plugged in for three weeks and the fire started all of a sudden where the power cord was plugged in. I always watched the power cord and there was no stain. Apparently the fuse at the dock and at my boat at the aft cabin did not trip - scary since I do not know how to prevent the fire next time. The boat is being repaired and the insurance pays!
Best, Viktor
It's those twist-on power cords, an old standard that has never been updated. A few years ago I was looking at mine and noticed arc marks on the contacts. I went and replaced it with a Smart Plug (http://shop.hunterowners.com/search.php?kw=smart plug) - no problems since then.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Victor, The Smart Plug is a great update from the technology of the twist connectors on boats.
I first learned about them from MaineSail. A marine electrician and resident contributor on this forum. Here is a link to his site and information on the smart plug.

http://www.pbase.com/mainecruising/installing_a_smart_plug

I just installed one on my boat. Replaced a functioning twist unit. I would encourage you to consider this as your replacement.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
mainesail also has an article on twist loc failures. go with the smartplug.

i only power while at my boat, unplugging to go home.

Feb 16, 2012
Hunter 45 CC Alamitos Bay, Long Beach
Best, Viktor
Viktor,
Thanks for the update. On my 2006 Hunter45 CC the same thing happened about 8 years ago. NO fire but where the shore power cord plugs into the boat at the stern, it somehow shorted out, melted most of the plug, but no fire. The breaker on the dock, and on the boat both tripped. I had the incoming shore power cord supported so that there was no strain on the connection. Have not had any problems since.
Jeff