Battery Woes update...

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I stuck a roll of tape in a food saver bag and sucked the air out. We'll see how long it lasts as i wont be using it for yrs as i bought two rolls.. If you try this, interupt the sucking process part way through...i did have the foresight to do that..

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Mark Maulden said:
, ...If you try this, interupt the sucking process part way through...i did have the foresight to do that..
Spending some time on the ceiling, are we?

Jan 2, 2007
Morgan 461 St. Thomas
However, as to the battery wiring, I think I have a solution to non-crossing
wires and something which I believe would simplify, as well.

I don’t have the graphics ability you do, so can’t easily show you what I
have in mind.

If I alternate L/R (turn batteries 180°), I should be able to not only make
straight-line pair lines (joining – and + terminals in a 12V pair) but more
easily make out-of-the-way parallel connectors.

Starting in the right hand lower corner and moving clockwise, the terminals
1+, 2-, 3-, 4+, 5-, 6+, 7+, 8- would be linked 2/3 (parallel), 4/5 (pair),
6/7 (parallel), 8/1 (pair). “-”lead would be to 3 and "+" lead would be to
7. Those in/out lines would lead relatively fair and no lines would cross.

Would that work?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip

Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery !
Follow us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheFlyingPigLog
and/or http://groups.google.com/group/flyingpiglog

Jan 2, 2007
Morgan 461 St. Thomas
This is what the Trojan data sheet looks like for my new batteries (not yet installed):

Capture.JPG

The posts are able to do quite a range of rotation of the lug, and are essentially equal-distance sited on the vertical gap between the caps, so running the links (12V pair and parallel pairs) will go nicely. The attachment points look like the Rolls diagram; the positive cable will go nicely down between the caps and out the "bottom" (if you look at it in the orientation of MaineSails' diagram).

Sorry I can't do the diagram part, but if you just make those studs alternate as above, I think you'll see it: 12V pairs are joined vertically at the sides, and paralleling batteries is diagonal in the center. The negative is at the right bottom of the left 12V pair and the positive is at the left top of the right 12V pair. All jumper cables are the same length. Rolls' diagrams suggest that difference in length (particularly when we're talking a foot in a round trip of perhaps 20 feet) between positive and negative cables is irrelevant.

Any issues?

Thanks.

L8R

Skip