Balsa cored Hull below waterline

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 12, 2009
Pearson 365 Ketch Brunswick
I have a 1976 Pearson 365 Ketch that my family and I have cruised to the Bahamas and back and I loved the stability and strength however it is becoming too small for my family of 5. We are looking at a 1987 P39-2 but it appears that there is a discrepency regarding the construction of the hull below the waterline. I have read 2 articles that say the opposite (one says solid fiberglass the other core at bottom of hull). Is there a P39-2 owner out there that knows what's what and can tell me how to identify the core in the hull. Would greatly appreciate this help

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
1985 P-34 is cored below water line

something I quite specifically wanted to avoid but ended up buying the boat (4 years ago) anyway because I liked it so much. No problems yet.

Jan 12, 2009
Pearson 365 Ketch Brunswick
The answer to whether there is balsa below the waterline is .....

Well, after very careful inspection of the Pearson 39-2 that was sworn to be fiberglass only below the waterline - we found that there is in fact balsa sandwiched between fiberglass below the waterline. This was found after removing the draws under the V-birth and it was clearly evident that along the hull from about 2-3 feet from the deck joint to the bottom of the hull there is balsa. Most of the rest of the access areas of the boat had carpeting glued to the hull so we could not see the balsa. Only under the V-birth and then by inspecting the sail locker on the port side of the cockpit could we detect the tell tale bulge of the balsa. In the V-birth the squares of Balsa were clearly evident. So - thats the truth of it. Now it will be critical to determine if it is worth pursuing this vessel knowing that Balsa is below the waterline. What do you all think - in 1987 was the technology of manufacture good enough with good owner maintenance to generate a worthy boat with balsa below the waterline? Did Pearson make a Robust Balsa hulled boat - is it worth pursuing any further? Please help with knowledgeable response and experience

shorty

Apr 14, 2005
Pearson P34 Mt Desert, ME
Per previous post

I quite specifically did not want cored below water line. Pearsons have the reputation of being built like brick you-know-whats which I would have to say is true of my 85 P-34. There were no signs of core problems when I bought the boat 4 years ago and, to the best of my knowledge, none now. You can probably be confident that the laminate thickness on either side of the core is beefier on the Pearson than would be on a comparable Hunter or Catalina. If you like the boat & price I would not let it hold you back. If its a choice between the Pearson and something not cored below the water line that you like equally well and is otherwise in as good a shape, then safer not cored below. Great help, huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.