Auto Pilot for Catalina 38

Dec 6, 2016
Catalina C38 Pt Richmond
What have people done for installing an auto pilot in these boats. In my research so far it seems it would need to be an under deck auto pilot. Doesn't seem like there is too much room in that area. We will mostly be sailing with 2 people and need that extra set of hands...so to speak. Thanks for any help.

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Your best bet is an under deck unit. With the weight of a Catalina 38, you will be pushing the limits of a wheel pilot unless you only plan on using it in light to moderate wind conditions while sailing. Motoring would not be an issue for the wheel pilot unless you're in big following seas.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
We have a Raymarine Evolution belowdeck mechanical. Works good and it is quiet.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I installed an under deck Raymarine in my Catalina 36 - works great. It is a challenge to find room around the quadrant. I had to fab a Aluminum structure to hold the linear motor - the folks on the MK2 were able to bolt it to the rear steps. It does put out a lot of force - so it needs a solid mount.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Guys - NB that the Catalina 38 is NOT a Butler design and has a lot less room in its tiny pinched transom. I had a dockmate do it below decks install in one and he swore for weeks.