Attention getter

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Jeebus, I thought it was bad when I was on the wire crewing a Hobie 16, we stiffed a wave with windward bow, and I just swung around the mast and pulled us over. I failed to realize what was happening, so neglected to grab the shroud as I went past...

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jeebus, I thought it was bad when I was on the wire crewing a Hobie 16, we stiffed a wave with windward bow, and I just swung around the mast and pulled us over. I failed to realize what was happening, so neglected to grab the shroud as I went past...
Like this??

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Wow! Unfortunately, it was nowhere near that exciting and dramatic. No, just a lard-ass hanging on a wire, swinging around the mast. I thought to grab for the shroud after I had passed it by. My friend had his GoPros going, so there is actual video evidence. No, I won't post it. :D The thing with Hobies that we learned after he started racing it, is you need to get as far aft as possible when on the wire, both skipper and crew, because the damn things have like no buoyancy in the bows, and pitchpoling can be a real bitch at speed.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
The overhang of the deck over the hull creates friction when the bow gets stuffed and that causes a Hobie to pitchpole. It is necessary to crowd the rear quarter when 2 are on the wires. Other beach cats (like Nacra) have a rounded transition and the bows are allowed to slice through water with far less resistance. It doesn't help much to grab at wire shrouds. You'd still pull the boat over and lose a lot of skin in the process. I left a lot of skin and blood on my Hobie 16.

I suspect that photo of the Hobie 14 is on the Columbia River somewhere around Hood River ... how'd you like to be in the water trying to get the boat righted with a barge coming down on you?

Last edited:
Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
I suspect that photo of the Hobie 14 is on the Columbia River somewhere around Hood River ... how'd you like to be in the water trying to get the boat righted with a barge coming down on you?
Uhhh, no thanks! It's bad enough with the ore barges on the Northern Chesapeake, which turn to cross at the mouth of the Sassafrass, on their way up the Susquehanna. I tend to be out around there in the kayak from time to time. Even when we sailed from Havre de Grace up into the Sassafrass on a friend's Laguna 30. I see those barges pop up out of nowhere and I get nervous. One thing you learn is that barges and freighters are going a hell of a lot faster than you think they are, and faster than a sailboat!