Alternatives to Sunbrella?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Anyone tried any other manufacturer's outdoor fabrics for biminis and sailcovers? Good experiences? Bad experiences? I noticed at a chain fabric store there are less expensive outdoor fabrics available. I was hoping to make a new bimini, sail cover, and winch covers this year but my budget wont allow it. Granted, I know you get what you pay for but even if it lasts 5 years it may be worth considering.

Thanks,

Manny

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Manny, I have had success with two sources. One is Ebay and the other has been surplus or used awnings that were throw-aways.

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
I just made a cover for my furler last month out of duck cloth from Joanne's, It ran me $7.99/yd. Seems to be holding up well. I'll give it another month and if still together I'll recover my Bimini with it. I use Olypia III to make a pop top cover that I am happy with, its is water proof but a little thin for a bimini top. Price goes up when you add shipping charges. Good luck.

Dec 2, 1999
Hunter Vision-36 Rio Vista, CA.
Manny:

I don't think you will save very much money purchasing something other than Sunbrella. The price is around $14-17/yd for 46"-60" fabric. Sunbrella can last for 10-15 years if cared for.

Normally most of the cost in invested in labor (not material). I would suggest that you reconsider using a cheap fabric.

Shop around and you can probably save $2-5/yd.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Sailrite.com has many marine fabrics and sewing supplies for heavy-duty use. And a nice formum, to boot.

BrianW

Jan 7, 2005
Hunter 26 Guntersville Lake, (AL)
I have a bimini cover, a companionway hatch cover and a sail cover made of Sunbrella that was installed by the previous owner ten years ago. The actuall fabric is still in generally good shape. The thread used for sewing it all together is what has failed.
My bimini is made of a vinyl-laminated fabric. It has not held up nearly as well as the Sunbrella fabric. BrianW

Paul F

Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 1980 - 33 Bradenton
vinyl-laminated fabric

Had a vinyl-laminated fabric main-sail cover made a year and a half ago. It has held up well. But, this week while washing some bird poop off with auto soap and oxiclean the deck turned blue with the material washing off. I immediately rinsed everything off. The main-sail cover now looks thinner and the weave of the cloth can be seen. Based on this I would not recommend this type of covering.

Manny

Oct 5, 2006
Hunter 82? 37 Cutter Wherever the wind takes me
Thanks guys, you talked me into it. I'll stick with sunbrella. My covers and bimini probably have at least two more seasons of life left but they are getting a little ragged, plus I am tired of the bumble bee jokes (the bimini and main sail cover are yellow while the sun cover on the genny is black).

Ross, thanks for the tip on ebay! I didn't even consider it as a source for material but I was able to find the sunbrella I wanted for a great price and ordered it tonight.

Frank, I had used the duck canvas from Jo-ann fabrics to dress up and patch my mainsail cover and bimini cover and the color had completely washed away after a few months. The fabric held up well for three seasons but then completely disintegrated when I brought them home and washed them this fall. That being said I also used the duck canvas for interior cushions and I am very happy with the results (just don't spill old oil from the diesel on it - don't ask how I know).

Manny

Jun 5, 2004
Macgregor 26D Boise
Just another view. Sunbrella is a fine product, but new outdoor fabrics have been developed since the first Sunbrella. A whole new group of materials called acrylics have been made available. There are many applications where Sunbrella is too bulky. Acrylics tend to be thinner but just as strong, much less weight. Using a polyester thread with specific UV protection will help keep your cover together. Unfortunately, polyester threads of this type are quite heavy in regard to a home sewing machine. Good Luck!

Nov 28, 2008
Helms 24 Cedar Point
WeatherMax80

I've just ordered a sail cover that is made out of WeatherMax 80. The fabric is just a little lighter than Sunbrella but compares favorably when looking at some of the specs, (fade resistence, water repellency, fabric strength). Attached is a link about the fabric. If you go to the bottom of the page there is a power point showing some of the characteristics of the different marine fabrics currently being used.

http://leesailcovers.com/_wsn/page8.html

Now that I've posted on the topic, let me put a caveat in. . . I'm new at this, so my knowledge is questionable in regards to fabric usage on a sailboats. But I did work in textiles for over 15 years and have some experience with man made fabrics (acrylics, nylons, polyster, dying and finishing processes.)

Alan

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 35.5 LI, NY
Re: WeatherMax

I completely agree, WeatherMax is a terrific fabric. I have a main cover made from it and it is MUCH better than Sunbrella. It is far more weather and stain resistant, particularly bird poop. Stuff washes off easily and the lighter fabric is much easier to deal with. I highly recommend it.

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 33 Metedeconk River
I just sewed up a cover for my LifeSling out of Sunbrella. It cost me about $15.00 for the material, the velcro, a small piece of webbing, and a grommet. I used my Sears machine and it works great with the heavy duty thread from Sailrite. I wonder how much easier it would be with the weathermax. I just sent for a sample.

Sep 24, 1999
Hunter H46LE Sausalito
WeatherMax

I understand that WeatherMax is manufactured to ISO 14001 specs, which means that it's completely recyclable and that all the waste generated from the manufacturing process is recycled.

How cool is that?

Jul 24, 2005
MacGregor Mac26D Richardson, TX; Dana Point, CA
26D Covers..

Hi...

Are there standard sizes for Mac26D "covers" - ie: the Headsail Bag, Boom Tent, and Main Sail cover? I haven't found anything.. Suggestions?

--jerry

Status
Not open for further replies.