Aft water tanks adventures

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
so i've had this leak in the aft cabin on my 40.5 that ended up rotting the bulkheads. Today was the first day in removing them and testing the water tank. it was a bit of work - first removing the bulkhead, then the batteries and floor from the lazarette to access and remove the tank. All in all a few hours of work

This is a very frustrating leak that is suppressed if I isolate the tank. I am very sure of that, it's been dry for over 6 months since i did that. And the boat has heeled over a lot since then, so i know this is water coming in the aft. To be double, i tasted the water from the leak and it's fresh water. Now, i am testing the tank but so far can't see a link. This would lead me to believe that the issue then would be a connection. I know it's not the one at the bottom - i've tested that one previously. So my guess is that it could come from either the vent or the water intake at the top when the tank is full and the boat heeled over - it is elusive tho

Anyone had the same of similar issue?

see photos of today's job attached
IMG_3396.jpg

Attachments

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
I had the same issue. I doubt it is the tank. Mine turned out to be the aft cockpit shower connections. I tighened them and it went away for a year. Started leaking again. This time I put some teflon tape on it which should not be necessary with plastic fittings. OK for a couple of years and then leaked again. I finally put two shut off valves in the feed lines after simply taking off the feed lines and capping them off for a few years.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
thanks Rick

I thought about it too and will check. what is weird is the leak stopped as soon as i emptied the tank.

The bulkheads were completely rotted so needed to be changed anyway... the rest looks very clean.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Progress on the project. after extensive testing it appears that the tank is a-ok... good thing. Also check the fuel tank while at it, it looks good as well. The culprit is now isolated the transom shower (thanks RickD). Will be replacing all the bulkhead with teak, will make the cabin interior warmer and nicer. Will post pics of the completed projects. thanks all for the tips

Attachments

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Finally finished the project replacing the aft bulk head on my 40.5. Pretty happy with how the result turned out and the look/feel of wood in cabin.. Still need to replace the middle remove board but overall pumped to have a functioning boat again. Thanks to all who provided advice throughout...

Attachments