Adding an Outboard to Capri 30

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
My capri 30 features an inboard BMW D7 that is currently not starting. So I will be taking it out for a major overall. I have a spare outboard Honda 5hp, short shaft. I tried to mount a Garelick 71056 bracket but the vertical travel distance of 11"1/4 is too short to keep the cavitation plate submerged.
Any recommendation on which mounting bracket i should use? Thank y'all

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2010
Cyril,

Before you get too involved in mounting the outboard, keep in mind
that if the inboard engine is removed, there is a change in the sailing characters of your boat.
Your center of gravity (CG) is now higher.

It doesn't take long for an engine repair or rebuild. Why would you wanna go thru the trouble to mount an OB engine for what should be a short interim?

Just my take on it pal.

CR

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
Thanks for your feedback Captain. I have never worked on a diesel so it may take me a little longer than most!
Since most capri 30 were made without inboard, i figured it would not have much of an impact and attaching an OB would allow ne to still go out.

Jan 6, 2010
Cyril,

I wasn't aware Capri 30's came without inboards.
Anyway, I don't know about you, but I hate to drill holes thru my hull unless I only have to do it once.
If your OB is just temporary, is it really worth it?

Your 5HP is really for pushing dingy type boats, not sailboats. Yours is not a deep shaft OB used on sailboats which would mean having to position your engine very low on the transom. No matter what type of lowering bracket you use, your OB will be too low in the water. I don't feel you want that.

CR

Nov 7, 2012
1978 Catalina 30 Wilbur-by-the-Sea
I never have seen a Capri 30, light and long, 8hp inboard. Looks fast.

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
I am with you, the less hole the better! The inboard is only producing 6 hp and can push the boat to a good 5 to 6 knots. We are on a lake so the motor is really to get out and back in,l. I still need to do a lot of thinking. Thanks for challenging my thought process

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Cyril, I have a 1973 Pearson 30 and was faced with the same dilemma! She has an Atomic 4 that needs work and I'm not mechanically inclined so until I can fix it, I bought a 9.8 Tohatsu(20" shaft) and probably the same Garelick bracket. Sure, it's a pain and I put holes in the boat, but it's not like the holes were in the bottom(just the stern) and IMHO no big deal! At least I get to go sailing! So I say, go for it(holes can always be plugged)! I'm down the road from you and sail on Lake Murray!

Fair winds, Lee

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
Lee thanks for feedback. Glad it worked out for you. Maybe I can trade my short shaft for a long one!!
How is Lake Murray?

Jun 1, 2016
Catalina Capri 30 DIYC
Hi Cyril, now that we own 2 Capri 30's .... One of our 30's, Alliance, came with and inboard (removed 20 years ago), the other, Wandere, came setup for outboards from the factory. On Alliance we used the West Marine, 4 stroke, 85lb capacity, lifting bracket. I cut 1.5" off the top of the nylon plate to allow our 3.5 hp motor to make enough contact with the water. Here is the thing - the capri lifts the water, fills the stern wave, as it moves forward. We actually like to adjust the bracket up a notch or two when at speed. Our PHRF group requires the boat under motor achieves a speed equal or better than the square root of the waterline length. Our MORC rating certificate had the measured waterline at 24.79, so the square of 25 is 5 knots. With the 3.5 mercury two stroke, in flat water and no breeze we gotten her to 5.6 gps speed. We do have a hyper faired hull, keel and rudder.
We have a fore and aft bulkhead in our lazerette behind the rudder head. We mount and store the outboard there with the fuel. The 3.5 hp outboard weighs in at about 35lbs and is easy to mount and retrieve from the bracket while standing in the lazerette. It is difficult and dangerous to try and afix a heavier outboard on the bracket while out on the water. Because of the angle on the transom, the distance of the cockpit to the edge of the deck, you have to extend your upper body and outboard so far out that you need serious help to keep from going in. We looked into using the main halyard only to realize that a heavy outboard can become a menacing wrecking ball with any waves. Our 8hp weighs almost three times the 3.5 so we use the the floating dock to mount the bigger outboard. The 3.5 will get ya home if wind dies but forget about motoring out a rough pass with decent seas.

Nov 10, 2015
Hunter 336 Columbia, SC
Hi Cyril, Lake Murray is actually awesome, I have sailed in every condition imaginable and it is always unpredictable. I have never been to Hartwell but hear it's nice. I just bought a Catalina 30 that used sail on Hartwell!

Good luck with the Capri 30!

Lee

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
Hi Cyril, now that we own 2 Capri 30's .... One of our 30's, Alliance, came with and inboard (removed 20 years ago), the other, Wandere, came setup for outboards from the factory. On Alliance we used the West Marine, 4 stroke, 85lb capacity, lifting bracket. I cut 1.5" off the top of the nylon plate to allow our 3.5 hp motor to make enough contact with the water. Here is the thing - the capri lifts the water, fills the stern wave, as it moves forward. We actually like to adjust the bracket up a notch or two when at speed. Our PHRF group requires the boat under motor achieves a speed equal or better than the square root of the waterline length. Our MORC rating certificate had the measured waterline at 24.79, so the square of 25 is 5 knots. With the 3.5 mercury two stroke, in flat water and no breeze we gotten her to 5.6 gps speed. We do have a hyper faired hull, keel and rudder.
We have a fore and aft bulkhead in our lazerette behind the rudder head. We mount and store the outboard there with the fuel. The 3.5 hp outboard weighs in at about 35lbs and is easy to mount and retrieve from the bracket while standing in the lazerette. It is difficult and dangerous to try and afix a heavier outboard on the bracket while out on the water. Because of the angle on the transom, the distance of the cockpit to the edge of the deck, you have to extend your upper body and outboard so far out that you need serious help to keep from going in. We looked into using the main halyard only to realize that a heavy outboard can become a menacing wrecking ball with any waves. Our 8hp weighs almost three times the 3.5 so we use the the floating dock to mount the bigger outboard. The 3.5 will get ya home if wind dies but forget about motoring out a rough pass with decent seas.
Tom could you share a few picture of your outboard bracket that you installed on Alliance?

Jun 1, 2016
Catalina Capri 30 DIYC
Sorry for late reply. Shows bracket placement...and bent rudder shaft I had to replace. Another story.

Attachments

Jun 1, 2016
Catalina Capri 30 DIYC
Tom could you share a few picture of your outboard bracket that you installed on Alliance?
Our 3.5hp outboard went for over 100 miles taking us home, ft Myers to Tampa with no wind. Tank on outboard was a pain. Could only run for about 45 minutes before needing refilling.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
Tom Barry, thanks for the picture. I finally bought a new bracket and will install it next week end. Been sailing anyway. It makes for good practice of docking under sail ... Fun!

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
After much thinking, I finally did it: drilled holes and installed a bracket for the OB. After trying to use adjustable brackets, I finally set for a fixed one with the adjustable pitch. The transom requires a 28° to keep the mounting board vertical.
The engine is low enough when I am on board! Drilled 4 holes; used 5/16 SS SCREWS flat and split washers, stop nuts, a bit of 4200 and a thick back plate on the other side.
Sure, I cannot bring the whole system up but with a short shaft and the engine tilted up it should be fine.
We have sailed without any engine for 6 months and got good practice a docking under sail. Now we can at least venture a bit farther knowing that if the wind dies we fire the OB.
First trial tomorrow morning. Fair temperatures down here and wind around 6 knots.

Attachments

Jul 3, 2016
Capri 30 Hartwell
Took her out today in 72° and 6 to 10 knots wind. The OB did great. Once we raised the sails, tilted the OB up and of we went. Touched 5.2 knots on a close reach and the OB stayed out even on starboard tack.
Also modified the exhaust line on the previous IB to thread the fuel line through it. Works like a charm. On the inside, I did keep about 2ft of exhaust tube and brought it up vertically and secured it to the back plate so that if water does come in from the through hull it won't flood the boat, hopefully!!!