a faster G26

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 29, 2011
Grampian 26 Ile Perrot Yatch Club
After 6 months of tlc and fixing the basic parts of our new Grampian 26, we spent the entire summer racing the local races. We had a a good season, but now I am looking for tips and improvements that others Grampian 26 owners have done to it oin order to improve its performance, ie: ajustable back stay, travelers, type of main sail, etc I am open to any discussions. Thanks, and lets hope this winter will be short.....

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Generally speaking, the advice here is generic to all sailboats.

If you are looking to spend some money making your boat go faster, spend it on good quality sails. To get the best performance from your new sails you should have some easy to adjust hardware such as a main sheet system with traveler, outhaul, cunningham, boom vang, backstay adjuster, adjustable genoa leads to name a few. Expect to spend a few thousand dollars on these items.

However, if your crew work is marginal, no amount of money will put you at the top of your game. You can gain many positions in the fleet by practicing and that won't cost you more than a few beers. Boat preparation such as the smoothness of your bottom, the fairness of your keel and rudder, the tuning of your rigging and the calibration of your instruments all add up to a winning season. And don't forget good tactics because sailing on the lifted tack can overcome deficiencies in other areas. Learn how to trim your sails properly for varying conditions and keep notes of what works best. Read, talk with other racers and crew aboard as many competitive boats as you can. You'll never stop learning this sport.

Your question is broad so it would be helpful if you can give us some clues as to the general areas of your boat that you want to improve upon. We'll be able to give you more specific advice germane to that area. I'm up for a short winter too.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
After 6 months of tlc and fixing the basic parts of our new Grampian 26, we spent the entire summer racing the local races. We had a a good season, but now I am looking for tips and improvements that others Grampian 26 owners have done to it oin order to improve its performance, ie: ajustable back stay, travelers, type of main sail, etc I am open to any discussions. Thanks, and lets hope this winter will be short.....
I had a grampian 26 some years ago, best boat i ever had, tough boat, very well built, and great to sail, mine had everything cockpitt lead, had a racing foil on the forestay, two of us, could be getting one sail up on the foil before even bringing the other sail down, and we could have the sail that went up rigged as the other sail was coming down. Head was an excellent design, doors open either way, and make you feel you are in a big space, when you were discharging cargo.

Really good boat, i had planned to sail mine to the uk, from florida, but had to sell it. Bought an irwin 35 couple of years later, and spent most of my time in the atlantic, wishing i was on the Grampian.

One thing i didnt like, was the open cockpitt with the outboard hung on, and the sea able to just sweep in.

Status
Not open for further replies.