'88 Legend 35 stuffing box

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 26, 2009
Hunter 35 Whitby, ON
I am about to venture into the unknown and repack the shaft seal.
Questions:
Does anyone know who the manufacturer is?
I am assuming - mistake, I know - that the packing and lock nuts are nylon. Will this be an issue?
I have been told to expect standard flax type stuffing.
Locking nut and packing nut appear to be wire locked -WHY?
Any hints before I open it up would be appreciated.

Questions to Hunter Marine have so far been unanswered.

Attachments

May 24, 2004
Hunter 33.5 Portsmouth, RI
That looks exactly like my stuffing box on my Hunter 33.5 with a 1.000 In. bronze shaft. I too do not know the manufacturer of the box. It is Nylon (probably Fiberglas Reinforced Nylon). The locking wire is to prevent the nut from backing out some due to vibration and shaft rotation. Make sure you re-secure the nut that way after packing. The packing is probably standard Flax square packing, and if yours is a 1.000 In. shaft it is probably 5/16 In. packing. When I replaced mine, I used Teflon Impregnated Flax. It takes 3 rings of packing, or 2 rings of packing with a 3rd "middle" ring of the green Teflon putty. That's the way I did mine. That way it is dripless, since the Teflon putty in the middle seals water out. The Teflon in the putty and in the Flax sufficiently lube it and there is no heat buildup. That way I can run a dry bilge, and if I see any water/fluid in the bilge then something is leaking elsewhere. The Teflon putty is green and is available from West Marine and others as Syntef for about $14. See W.M. Pg. 619 for Syntef and PTFE Flax, as well as Extractor tool for $10 which you will need. It's not a terribly bad jod to do. You should have no real trouble. There will be a large nylon flat washer behind the Nylon nut. That takes the rotational pressure from the nut and places a static pressure on the 3rd ring of PTFE Flax. To verify the packing size, use a pair of micrometers to measure the shaft and the ID of the stuffing box. Take the difference and divide by 2 to get packing size. When putting in the flax rings, stagger the cuts. also make the cuts on a 45 degree angle. Good luck.

Aug 23, 2011
Hunter 31 Georgetown, MD
David,

It is a G W Morse stuffing box....catalog number 49409.

I replaced my packings (three rings) on my H31 this past fall, in the water...use the GTU made by W.L. Gore......available at West

No drips, no leaks and a cool running with just hand tightening of the nylon nut. The cotter pin locks the nut so vibration doesn’t back it off.

Check the archives...this has been written up. Don't confuse it with the info on the bronze stuffing box referenced by Stu and posted by Maine Sail

Good luck, Mike

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 35 Legend Jacksonville, Fl
I had the same thing on my 35. After replacing the flax, due to leaking, it got worse. Pulled the whole thing out to find the aft end was split. Scheduled a haul out and replaced the whole thing with a PSS dripless packing. Money well spent. No drips or leaks. Bilge stays dry now

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Be aware that this type of Hunter OEM stuffing box contains 3 compression washers separating 2 rings of packing material (see pic). I found trying to get these rings out almost impossible given the very short distance between the gland's compression nut and the coupler. I replaced the OEM gland with a conventional bronze gland and it's much easier to service and probably much stronger.

Attachments

Sep 12, 2005
Hunter Legend '45 St Claire Shores
Spinwing,

I agree with and did exactly the same thing that Warren Milberg did above. I replaced the old nylon one with a new bronze shaft packing gland. My packing gland for my Hunter 45 Legend (1.25" Shaft, 1/4" packing) cost about $95 delivered.

Regards,

James

Status
Not open for further replies.