302 (doesn't) loose keel!

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
Ive got the boat hauled for a few projects (paint, cutless, strut work), and, as everyone knows, the keel is the #1 search result on these boats.

The previous owner took the keel ripping off paranoia to an amazing level. Not only is the keel sump reinforced with extra glass and a metal plate, but the keel/hull joint is faired around with a "hogs foot" and screwed to the keel.

Not a drop of water gets in or out of this joint.

Carry on.IMG_0979.JPG IMG_0982.JPG

Apr 4, 2013
O'day 240 NY, NY (City Island)
Wow... what exactly is a "hog's foot" though? Is that just extra glass overlapping the outside of the keel joint? Are the screws there to give the glass some additional purchase on the lead keel? Also... would love to see a photo of the sump reinforcement.

Jul 12, 2011
Oday 302 st pete
You are correct Greg. Its a term the yard guys use for wrapping a joint with glass. Well, more than just wrapping the joint, as it is faired onto the hull and down the keel (or strut, or whatever).

I assume the screws are exactly as you intended - to give a bit more bond between the glass and lead. Ill see if I can get a pic of inside, but its been painted, so you cant really tell what youre looking at.

Nov 5, 2010
Oday 23 Stonington, CT
People do some crazy stuff, though it is not paranoia in my mind to check and re-inforce externally bolted keels. That said, all that holds a keel like that on is the keel bolts and the strength of the keel stub. Wrapping the joint is a quite useless. If the main bolts permit any movement, the wrap will not help, and will eventually leak. The leverage exerted by the wings is problematic.