2003 Hunter 356 AC panel question

• Thread starter Former member 134612
  • Start date
F

Former member 134612

As a newbie, I'm hoping you'll be gentle! This boat is new to me. Today I was running my NextGen generator to charge up batteries while on the hook (ProCharge Ultra by Sterling), and I noted a change in pitch in the gen. I went below and discovered the charger was off, then noticed the entire AC panel was dead. No breakers had tripped. I shut down the genset and allowed everything to cool down, then tried again, but still no life in the AC panel. I assume I've tripped a breaker or blown a fuse, but can't find anything physically or in the owners manual. Is there anyone who could offer an idea, before I go off and find an electrician?

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Neither breaker on gen set (inside sound enclosure) nor AC panel was tripped?

Aug 17, 2010
Hunter 410 Dover NH
Are you sure the generator is putting out AC? That would be the first place to check as there were no tripped breakers.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Are you sure the generator is putting out AC? That would be the first place to check as there were no tripped breakers.
There should be a "reset" button on the Nextgen. I believe its a "red" button and is the output breaker directly on the Generator itself.

If you reset this and it trips again then you need to figure out what the problem is before you reset it again. We used to have a rule in the Navy - you can reset a breaker one time but if it trips again then something is definitely wrong and fix it. Was anything else running like an AirCon unit, wife's turbo hair dryer, etc. What is the size of your Nextgen? I can't imagine a battery charger being a large enough load to trip it on overload by itself.

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
As Smoky73 said, look for an output breaker on the nextgen. If no one else has any ideas, look online or contact nextgen.
The only other AC master breaker on a 356 is in the cockpit lazarette on the aft vertical face - but your genset should not be wired thru this breaker - it's for the shorepower input

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Xantrex Panel.JPG
When the generator is running, the left AC panel Line 1 should be - AC Main - Off; Generator - On (opposite of below photo) Line 2 like below. Should have 110-115 volts on both voltmeters as below. Your battery/inventor switch should look like the one below. If you don't have this setup, let us know what is different? If you have this setup as described but not volts at voltmeter, then it is likely the reset breaker on your gen set. Make sure you have charge on in the panel above if you have an inverter.
AC Elec Panel.JPG
House Battery-Inverter Switch.JPG

F

Former member 134612

There should be a "reset" button on the Nextgen. I believe its a "red" button and is the output breaker directly on the Generator itself. I tried pressing the red button marked "30" gently but it doesn't move. How hard should I press?
Was anything else running like an AirCon unit, wife's turbo hair dryer, etc. No.
What is the size of your Nextgen? I can't imagine a battery charger being a large enough load to trip it on overload by itself.
3.5 kW. I agree - the battery charger should be no problem for it.

F

Former member 134612

When the generator is running, the left AC panel Line 1 should be - AC Main - Off; Generator - On (opposite of below photo) Line 2 like below. That is how I had it set up. Should have 110-115 volts on both voltmeters as below. I had 110V at the panel while the panel was live, but nothing at all now. Make sure you have charge on in the panel above if you have an inverter. The batteries were charging while the genset was operating and the Sterling was on. I could see my SOC rising on the victron display.

Thanks so much for the help!

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
"I tried pressing the red button marked "30" gently but it doesn't move. How hard should I press?"

Our windlass is wired to an 80 amperes breaker. It has tripped once since we purchased the boat (another story) and to reset it I had to place my thumb on the red button and press both with my thumb and palm on my thumb together before it gave a hard reset snap. Yours may require that amount of pressure, too.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I assume your genset was plugged into your shore power recepticle? check the breaker between your shore power recepticle and the AC panel.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
I have the same genset (sans enclosure). Strangely, my generator side is a different model from what is in the manual, and I do not have a red 30 amp built in breaker. I ran my generator output to an external 30 amp breaker which I located in the cockpit lazarette. Perhaps you have a similar external breaker in a location you have yet to find. It could also be a bad capacitor. But I agree the first step should be to test the output, which may require you to remove the cover on the electrical side of the generator for access.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
I assume your genset was plugged into your shore power recepticle? check the breaker between your shore power recepticle and the AC panel.
With the Nextgen it should not normally be plugged into the shore power
I have the same genset (sans enclosure). Strangely, my generator side is a different model from what is in the manual, and I do not have a red 30 amp built in breaker. I ran my generator output to an external 30 amp breaker which I located in the cockpit lazarette. Perhaps you have a similar external breaker in a location you have yet to find. It could also be a bad capacitor. But I agree the first step should be to test the output, which may require you to remove the cover on the electrical side of the generator for access.
Good point Johann,
Unless you have an external regulator (not standard on a Nextgen 3.5) they have a capacitor control system for the output voltage. These are known to fail. Even if you reset the red breaker (I think you said there is one), you may still need to open the electrical end of the generator and check the voltage at the line side (input side) of the internal breaker to know for sure if its the generator, the breaker, or something else.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
3.5 kW. I agree - the battery charger should be no problem for it.
You may have to push it pretty hard. Don't worry, you can't break it by pushing with your hand - just don't use a hammer!;)

F

Former member 134612

...they have a capacitor control system for the output voltage. These are known to fail. ....
I spoke with NextGen support this morning and they also suggested a failed capacitor. I have contacted a local service tech suggested by NextGen and hope to have him on board in the next couple of days (hopefully when the wind stops howling here in FL). I'll post back with the resolution once I have it. Thanks for all the suggestions!

F

Former member 134612

I just wanted to close the loop on this one. Your suggestions of a bad capacitor were spot on! Fortunately the PO of this boat was very good at maintaining an inventory of spares on board, and I was able to locate the correct capacitor and change it out (not the easiest procedure). Thank you to all who took the time to make suggestions!

So while waiting here in Stuart to head to the Bahamas, I've rebuilt the outboard carb (twice), replaced the burner and grill in the Magma BBQ (huge job as the burner was rusted onto the base), fixed the main salon hatch which was frozen shut, and a bunch of other smaller jobs. Now all I have left to do is replace the pressure switch on my water system pump, figure out why the vacuum break on the Yanmar spits up water into the engine bilge, get my Mac to talk to the Ubiquity Bullet, recaulk the shower so the water doesn't drain onto the salon sole, replace the gas strut in the freezer, etc etc. The joys of boat ownership.

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
JN,

Glad to hear you were able to fix your generator issue and hopefully make just as much headway on the rest of your punch list prior to leaving for the Bahamas.

Am looking to make the same trip in a few years and also have a generator (EntecWest 4.2 KW) but was curious if besides the Sterling charger you also had solar or maybe even a wind generator? Getting ready to start upgrading to a "System", batteries, battery monitor, external regulator, charger, solar, etc. to ensure power is available on the hook for an extended time.

Fair Winds.

Jeff
s/v LegaSea
2003 Hunter 356
Middle River, MD

F

Former member 134612

Am looking to make the same trip in a few years and also have a generator (EntecWest 4.2 KW) but was curious if besides the Sterling charger you also had solar or maybe even a wind generator?
Hi Jeff:
I also have a 325W Kyocera solar panel. I've only owned the boat a short time, but have quickly realized that energy management is one of the biggest issues. Even though we have all LEDs and use power very sparingly, we run the bank down from 80% SOC to around 50% overnight - that's just the fridge and freezer and LED anchor light.

Good luck with your plans!

Pat

F

Former member 134612

....I have contacted a local service tech suggested by NextGen and hope to have him on board in the next couple of days...
JC Marine Services in Stuart never returned my call.

Mar 3, 2003
Hunter 356 Grand Rivers
Glad you got it fixed. I have a Northern Lights 5kw and we run it continuously when away from the dock. Uses around 6 gallons per day of diesel but we are always comfortable inside hot weather or cold.