1989 Hunter 28

Jan 1, 2017
Hunter 1989 28' Portsmouth Va
My wife and I are purchasing a 1989 Hunter 28 this week. The plan is to leave Portsmouth Va on Jan 16th. Heading down the ICW to south Florida. Hanging out there and getting the boat ready to go to Bahamas for the winter. Most likely will be going to Bahamas around Feb 15th depending on the weather window for crossing the stream to West End.
Any advice is appreciated.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hi Skip, an H28 was our first sail boat. Cruised her for three years. Very nice.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
If going by way of Dismal Canal and Alligator River, do not transverse during the night. When you enter the Pamlico sound via the ICW closest to Oriental you will go way out following the markers because if you veer off to the land side, you will run aground. Albemarle Sound- if blowing too hard, waves can be treacherous as it is shallow. Heads up during the winter.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
Dismal swamp canal closed till further notice hurricane Matthew blew trees over canal and until army core enginners get funding you can't go that way

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
With the cold fronts starting to line up this is not the time of the year to start such a trip. At best it will be a long and miserable slough.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Not to be a wet blanket, but...
I was where you are now about 40 years ago. Here's my prognostication:
You just bought a used boat that you haven't used yourself and don't know the state of things like batteries, steering system, thru hull valves, radio age or condition, electrical system, including type and number of fuses needed as well as spare electrical panel and master switches.
Have you had the sails inspected/restitched?
Have you changed the anti freeze, the oil in engine and transmission?
Do you have spare belts and replacement fuel and oil filters?
Do you have the right tools to repair/service your boat's systems?

I didn't either but I went anyway. I learned how to fix the stuff that broke or replaced it (Some at great cost in the Bahamas). I lost many days in a yard getting things fixed that required a haul-out, and could have saved big bucks by doing them at my home marina before I left.
But I didn't know all that I know now, so I just enjoyed the trip.

What I did know was: How to use an EPIRB, DR and electronic navigation, proper anchoring techniques, listening to weather broadcasts and evaluating the conditions each morning and afternoon, and how to reef main and jib. And, how to pick a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream safely. That was so no one died.
The rest is just money over the transom and good sea stories.
Let me know how far you get!
Good Luck and Safe Cruising.
G.

Jan 1, 2017
Not to be a wet blanket, but...
I was where you are now about 40 years ago. Here's my prognostication:
You just bought a used boat that you haven't used yourself and don't know the state of things like batteries, steering system, thru hull valves, radio age or condition, electrical system, including type and number of fuses needed as well as spare electrical panel and master switches.
Have you had the sails inspected/restitched?
Have you changed the anti freeze, the oil in engine and transmission?
Do you have spare belts and replacement fuel and oil filters?
Do you have the right tools to repair/service your boat's systems?

I didn't either but I went anyway. I learned how to fix the stuff that broke or replaced it (Some at great cost in the Bahamas). I lost many days in a yard getting things fixed that required a haul-out, and could have saved big bucks by doing them at my home marina before I left.
But I didn't know all that I know now, so I just enjoyed the trip.

What I did know was: How to use an EPIRB, DR and electronic navigation, proper anchoring techniques, listening to weather broadcasts and evaluating the conditions each morning and afternoon, and how to reef main and jib. And, how to pick a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream safely. That was so no one died.
The rest is just money over the transom and good sea stories.
Let me know how far you get!
Good Luck and Safe Cruising.
G.

Jan 1, 2017
I appreciate your input. I am 63 and have spent most of my lifetime boating here in coastal Virginia and North Carolina. It has mostly been on powerboats that I have owned and on friends sailboats. My wife and I purchased a Cal 24 T4 this past spring and sailed her a lot in our area. My wife fell in love with sailing and encouraged me to get a little larger boat so we could do some coastal cruising. ICW and a bounce over to the Bahamas when conditions are right.
We had an extensive survey done along with a sea trial and engine analysis. There are a few minor things that need to be done but overall she is in great shape. I did the bottom today and will be replacing the holding tank (Poop Tank) next week. The Yanmar is fresh water cooled and purrs like a kitten. Only 500 hours.
I am making a list of things and will be adding to my list the things you mentioned.
We are excited and hope to make the journey with minimal problems. I'm sure we will encounter some issues but shoving off as well prepared as possible.
Thank you all for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Skip, I failed to mention one thing no surveyer or owner will talk about or check...
The Impeller. They fail, wear out, get contaminated from junk in the sea water.
Take several spares and gaskets on your trip. Same goes for fuel filters and oil filters.

Oh yeah, take your long johns, woolies, watch caps, insulated gloves, thermal hand warmers, a good thermos for coffee or cocoa, ski goggles (you'll thank me later), foul weather suit (not just a jacket), thinsulate socks and shirts are good AND sea boots from WalMart (no kidding)...
You get the idea. It's gonna get cold and wet out there and there's no place to hide if you're underway.

Jan 11, 2017
Hunter 28.5 Miami
Ciao, me and my wife own a H28,5 and we are base in Miami. with a good weather window you can sail in the open waters most of the east coast of FL. Should be easy to cross from key largo to bimini considering the 50ml distance. make sure to have the gold membership with boatUs in case you need assistance. if there is anything that you need for the boat on your way down you can contact me and send me the information and I can assist you or collect your orders. You can anchor in secure water inside the ICW but stay away from expensive marinas, have a dingy or an inflatable kayak onboard to go to shore. the sailing club in coral gable is very friendly, dinner key marina is a good spot too if you want to rest and get the boat ready before the crossing. I m base at the sea isle marina and you can safely anchor outside for days.
good luck

Jan 1, 2017
Just read your post. Thanks for being so thoughtful and offering your assistance if needed. We are anxious to be in warmer weather. I will stay in touch with you and keep you posted of our progress.
Blessings,
Skip
skipspires@gmail.com

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2017
We have had high winds but pushed in from mile marker 0 to Swansboro NC.
On to Weightsville Bch NC tomorrow. Lots of Dolphins all thru the ICW in NC.
This 2cyl Yanmar is amazing

Jan 1, 2017
It's been a long time since i have posted here. We returned to Portsmouth Va 3 weeks ago. Our 5 month trip down to Key West on our 1989 Hunter 28 was beyond amazing. The boat performed fantastic. Can't say enough about how much all the input is appreciated from this forum.
Excited to leave again after the tropics calm down. Doing Bahamas and Caribbean this time. I really don't understand people bashing Hunter sailboats.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I really don't understand people bashing Hunter sailboats.
Glad you had a nice trip, Skip. H28 is a very nice boat. Usually the bashers have never owned a Hunter, so they just spout what they have heard. We looked at lots of boats before buying the H28 and our current P42. No regrets.