1985 Hunter 34 Reupholstery Questions

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
I'm getting ready to take on reupholstering all the cushions in my 1985 Hunter 34. The boat came with fore and aft-berth cushions but no cabin cushions at all. According to the tags on the fore and aft berth cushions the boat was reupholstered in 2006 so who knows what happened to the cabin cushion between then and now. The foam on the fore and aft berth is very comfy and measures in at 5 inches thick so I'm not going to replace it. Pretty sure this is not the original foam. I'm wondering if any Hunter 34 owners of similar vintage can tell me what the foam thickness was on the original cabin cushions? Are the bottoms and backs the same thickness? I'm planning on going with a fairly firm foam that was recommended by my the local foam vendor for use on boat interior cushions. He said most people go with 3-4 inch thick foam but matching the 5 inches in the boat is also a possibility. Any recommendations?

Also wondering if anyone who has taken on the reupholstery job could share how many yards of fabric they used. I'm planning on using Nauga-Soft Vinyl for the job with the open mesh backing material on the backs.

Thanks
Mike

Last edited:
Jun 3, 2004
Hunter 34 Toronto, Ontario Canada
The cushions on mine are not the originals, but the thickness of the seating cushions and backs looks to be near to 4". Fairly firm sounds like a good choice.

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
Ask your foam source for 2.6 density (or close to that). The factory density was likely about 1.8 for your boat and a host of other brands of production boats. The lighter stuff sits and sleeps Ok for 3 to 5 years and starts to go flat after that.

Dec 7, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 45 Annapolis
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Ended up going with 4 inch 2.8 weight foam. It was little pricey, just the 6 cushions for the cabin came in around $650. Feels great though.

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mike. Put a wedge or a strip along the lower half of the back cushion. Your back will thank you later.